Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Southern Airways Express (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/76054-southern-airways-express.html)

tailwheel48 01-20-2023 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by JHans2678 (Post 3575459)
Just looking to see if anyone that works at Southern has any advice. I noticed a Tecnam SIC position in Saipan. I have been interested in flying in Saipan for a long time! I sent my resume to multiple people, but I did not hear anything for a couple of weeks. I got a call from Alaska Seaplanes and was invited to go for an interview. I was offered a position by Alaska seaplanes before I left Juneau even though they said I would not hear anything for a week. On the flight home, I received a voicemail from the Southern recruiter. I called her shortly after landing and set up a video conference. I told her I was working on a tight timeline because I needed to get back to Seaplanes with an answer. After our video conference, I contacted her several times asking for a benefits overview so I could talk to my wife about what the benefits looked like so we could make a quick decision if Southern offered me as well. I texted, emailed, left voicemails, and she never provided me with the requested information, only a message that they were reviewing my information. I told her several times I had to give Seaplanes an answer. I finally reached my deadline with Seaplanes and let them know I was going to accept (because I assumed Southern was not happening and quite frankly the lack of response worries me)! Well, what happened the next morning (after 4-5 days of sending requests)? The recruiter sends me the information and wants to set up a time for me to talk with the chief pilot and the VP of retention. I assume I will get an offer, but at this point, I have committed elsewhere. I think I will enjoy Seaplanes and the atmosphere is great. However, there is that part of me that wants to go to Saipan. I am extremely loyal and I would hate to back out of my commitment. So, here is my question. Does Southern ever offer higher than starting pay? Is it okay to ask and say at this point I have committed elsewhere what can you offer me to change my mind? Or should I just say thanks, but no thanks?

You dodged a bullet by not going to Southern! I'm not familiar with Alaska Seaplanes except it seems that they pay far more, and you never hear guys who work there *****ing about the company. Incidentally, Saipan is a very expensive place to live and way off the beaten track. You likely wouldn't get any instrument time out there either.

TwOtter 01-23-2023 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by tailwheel48 (Post 3575518)
You dodged a bullet by not going to Southern! I'm not familiar with Alaska Seaplanes except it seems that they pay far more, and you never hear guys who work there *****ing about the company. Incidentally, Saipan is a very expensive place to live and way off the beaten track. You likely wouldn't get any instrument time out there either.

Saipan can be a cheap place to live. STAR Marianas first years guys were living just fine on $22k a year there.

OFT1 01-26-2023 09:51 AM

Anyone have any info on which equipment is located at which bases? Info is not available anywhere online and the recruiters won't answer the phone or return emails.

FloridaFlyboy98 01-26-2023 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by TwOtter (Post 3577572)
Saipan can be a cheap place to live. STAR Marianas first years guys were living just fine on $22k a year there.

If you live in a 'pad' with twelve other guys. Sounds like this fella has a wife so they maybe need something different!

TwOtter 01-27-2023 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by FloridaFlyboy98 (Post 3579797)
If you live in a 'pad' with twelve other guys. Sounds like this fella has a wife so they maybe need something different!

So did I. We were fine on $2,300 a month take home pay. No roommates, no “pad,” one of the nicer apartments of the pilot group.

OFT1 02-07-2023 08:14 AM

Bases/Equipment

Hey fellas figured I'd try again. Looking for info on bases and equipment. Is there a base in MEM?

500RVR 02-10-2023 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by OFT1 (Post 3579692)
Anyone have any info on which equipment is located at which bases? Info is not available anywhere online and the recruiters won't answer the phone or return emails.

Well this should be a huge red flag to you! Known numerous pilots who have worked for them for years and one currently. This place is the ultimate bottom feeder company. Best advice, stay far away!

jakeinthesky 02-11-2023 02:26 PM

Buddy of mine works for them and is on food stamps. The CEO was asked by one of the towns they were bidding an EAS contract why they paid so low, that they were interested in bringing good jobs in to the town and he said something along the lines of "the pilots use me so I use them".

OFT1 02-12-2023 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by jakeinthesky (Post 3590459)
Buddy of mine works for them and is on food stamps. The CEO was asked by one of the towns they were bidding an EAS contract why they paid so low, that they were interested in bringing good jobs in to the town and he said something along the lines of "the pilots use me so I use them".

Appreciate the insight. Would you be willing to put me in touch with your friend so I could ask some specifics about the company?

BingoFuel69 02-12-2023 07:02 PM

SAE Update

Hello all, here is a update for Southern.

Southern is hiring for all positions and is in need of King Air crews the most.
Not sure where the king air crews will be based but most likely either PHX/DEN area.
Southern is hiring soft minimum of 500 total time Fo's and caravan PIC's at 1200 total.
Southern has monthly classes with 21 seats.
Crew bases are in the EAS communities they serve.
Not sure on the PC-12 time they're looking for but apply apply apply.
Caravan crews fly 100-110 hours a month.
Southern has the agreement with sky west, 7500 bonus when released with southern as an FO 5,000 bonus pic upgrade, work 600 hours as a southern PIC then transition to skywest who has a 15% ownership in the company.
Once released as a skywest FO another 5,000 bonus comes your way. Skywest prefers to hire southern over any off the street people.
The caravan FO pay sucks not going to lie, but get your time, fullfil the training contract and move on.
The time is better than being a CFI.
Get experience flying into ORD, ATL, PIT, IAD, DFW, LAX, DEN, PHX instead of flying around the patter for 1500 hours.
Southern isnt unionized, so of course the QOL isnt great and there are alot of horror stories, but just understand what your getting into.
Fly your ass off, get great experience and move on to skywest once the contract is completed. The people here are great and the CEO is involved and actually cares.
DM if any questions,
thanks