Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ravn AK crash

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Default Ravn AK crash

Two pilots on training flight killed in small-plane crash near Bethel | Rural Alaska | ADN.com

Sad and tragic...but for me very angering. Having recently quit flying here for many reasons one being a crash in november........Some day alaska aviation may change its culture. The operating environment will always be a factor...but shouldnt define it.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Window Seat

There is nothing inherently wrong with the "bush" culture of aviation in Alaska, the problem is that many people take it to mean they should just do anything with no basic regard for how they are doing it. You can, contrary to popular belief, fly aircraft safely and efficiently in many conditions which would turn the hair of the average pilot from the L48 gray within a week. You just need to keep your head in the game. As I've said to many people during and after my Alaska days, "you need to know when to slow down and know when to speed up" (that's the G-rated version).

I shared a pilot house and employer with the guy from the 11/13 crash a few years ago and I'd say that age was a factor in that one, as well as possibly being a little too gung ho.

Considering the weather conditions from yesterdays crash I'd venture to say it had more to do with operator error and could have just as easily happened in Orlando, FL as it could have in Bethel, AK.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by aviatorhi View Post
There is nothing inherently wrong with the "bush" culture of aviation in Alaska, the problem is that many people take it to mean they should just do anything with no basic regard for how they are doing it. You can, contrary to popular belief, fly aircraft safely and efficiently in many conditions which would turn the hair of the average pilot from the L48 gray within a week. You just need to keep your head in the game. As I've said to many people during and after my Alaska days, "you need to know when to slow down and know when to speed up" (that's the G-rated version).

I shared a pilot house and employer with the guy from the 11/13 crash a few years ago and I'd say that age was a factor in that one, as well as possibly being a little too gung ho.

Considering the weather conditions from yesterdays crash I'd venture to say it had more to do with operator error and could have just as easily happened in Orlando, FL as it could have in Bethel, AK.
I am not so sure. Florida is nice and sunny. Bethel is a giant milk can even in seemingly "calm" conditions. Also do a quick internet search. I can guarantee you that there have been more crashes in Bethel than there were in Orlando.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Line Holder

Oh..no no sir..lol i beg to differ greatly. There is a culture issue.....a big one....the culture is what leads to these types of accident causing behaviors. Try and scud run your 208 or fly a crj at 200 feet AGL for fun in florida or california and see how well that goes over.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Line Holder

I was working that night in november....and refused a flight in those conditions...to that same area....because it wasn't Safe to fly at night in 500 and 1 scud running in pitch black across the delta. I remember the crash night very well.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Akbush View Post
I was working that night in november....and refused a flight in those conditions...to that same area....because it wasn't Safe to fly at night in 500 and 1 scud running in pitch black across the delta. I remember the crash night very well.
I wasn't talking about November... I was talking about the training flight yesterday. Which from what I've heard was CAVU.

Originally Posted by Akbush View Post
Oh..no no sir..lol i beg to differ greatly. There is a culture issue.....a big one....the culture is what leads to these types of accident causing behaviors. Try and scud run your 208 or fly a crj at 200 feet AGL for fun in florida or california and see how well that goes over.
On a training flight in CAVU conditions your argument is unfounded, as you would neither conduct initial aircraft training in the soup, nor would you need to scud run. Also I'd never be caught dead in an RJ.

Additionally, anything you approach with the right mindset and right plan you can accomplish, from flying into a gravel trip in marginal weather all the way through to operating jet transports into remote atolls. The problem with Alaska flying is the lack of planning, the flying itself is not as inherently dangerous as is often claimed, the lack of planning is what causes it to be. Among others look at the Era Twotter crash about 10 years ago out in Kipnuk (I think), as well as the 2011 Hageland crash, also at Kipnuk. Nothing particularly special about either one of those days or conditions, just poor decisions to "land long" when it was not required.

Last edited by aviatorhi; 04-09-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Banned

Regardless, you don't know what you are talking about.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ClarenceOver View Post
Regardless, you don't know what you are talking about.
Yeah you're right, I only flew in Bethel for 2 years and Alaska for 3. So I have no idea about it whatsoever.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the "bush" culture of aviation in Alaska,
Pretty much stopped reading right there. I spent way to many years and saw way to many crashes to buy off on that one. But I did hear similar comments from some guys before they died.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Banned

could have just as easily happened in Orlando, FL as it could have in Bethel, AK.

When you make comments like this. I know for a fact your full of it. You havn't flown for 5 minutes in Alaska if you believe this is true. God i love the ignore function.