Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

What to do...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 11:20 PM
Gets EVERY weekend off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: SIC

I'm currently operating under a training contract for my company, and hate the weight of a training contract being on my shoulders...it doesn't ruin the job, but it's a restriction which limits mobility.

My stats were similar to you, had 2500TT but the majority of that time was 121 jet SIC and PIC...Currently flying right seat in a biz jet, but did go to school for a PIC type rating.

If you're in a good spot, I'd definitely hold out for a PIC type rating company. Least it gets you the opportunity to log some turbine PIC on multi-engine aircraft in the near term...a one year training contract on a airplane that only requires some transition training seems a bit excessive.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by badtransam97 View Post
Thanks guys! I made a typo, it's only a one year contract, but still a contract none the less.
Another question: would you take the SE gig if offered nothing else? I'm not sure if I'll get an offer on either of these gigs, but I wonder if I should just wait out a ME gig vs the SE and at least getting my foot in the FW world....decisions descisons I guess lol.
You learn exponentially quicker when you're signing for the plane.

I'd personally take the SE PIC gig for a year, build up your total turbine time, and turbine PIC time and some experience and then see what doors open for you. I enjoy being the PIC a lot more than being a co-pilot, I'd be leery of sucking up an SIC gig with low pay for a couple years to prove to the CP you're loyal enough for an upgrade in x more years. If they want to keep you, they'll pay you well, treat you well, and encourage you to grow professionally.