Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Methods fixed wing

Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Wagon & Whale Driver
Default Air Methods fixed wing

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any current info on Air Methods such as pay and schedule for the fixed wing side. I know that they are represented by a union.

Thanks in advance.

JG
Old 02-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

I think this is the old contract, but I don't think they got a huge bump with the new one. I stand open to correction there.

Air Methods

Worked there for ~3 years. Good job, was hard to leave. Although some bases/programs are definitely superior to others.

Schedule is usually 7on/7off. Some bases do a day/night mix, some bases do one rotation day one night, and I've heard rumors that a few bases have guys who prefer one or the other and negotiate with someone who prefers the other to permanently switch places, although I've never seen it myself. I've also heard rumors that some more remote bases will negotiate a 14/14 for commuter pilots to cut down on travel costs, but don't have any personal familiarity with that, either.

PS. When considering that pay, factor in that you will probably have the opportunity to earn OT. At least a few thousand even if you're taking it easy.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Wagon & Whale Driver

Thanks for the link and info Boris. Can you give any specifics why you left? Take care,

JG
Old 02-11-2016, 04:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by jlg79 View Post
Thanks for the link and info Boris. Can you give any specifics why you left? Take care,

JG
He got a job flying with his man lover.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
He got a job flying with his man lover.

And then he left me to fly a different airplane! *heartbreak*

jlg: I left essentially because I got bored. No real upward mobility (unless you want to be a manger, which, at least for me...ick). I also wanted to move home, and the Methods program here wasn't looking likely to have any openings in the forseeable future. Those things said, it was still a tough call. It would, imho, make a *perfect* semi-retirement job. If both they and I last that long, I can easily see myself knocking on their door again in 25-30 years.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2011
Position: Chair flying

1st year pay is now around 64k and they have latitude to bump you up to year 3 I think for previous experience.

As mentioned in other places, this is a helicopter company that happens to have some fixed wing aircraft (approximate ratio is 400+ : 35). Initial training is geared towards helicopters with only a few short units, including systems, for the FW guys.

You'll punch a time clock (online), carry W&B and risk assessment done fresh for each leg, and the shifts run 7 x 12 hours. The 14 on / 14 off has been terminated due to CAIMS requirements.

Right now the opportunity for overtime is substantial. Once hired into a base you will be expected to be there for 18 months prior to being eligible to move to another base.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and there's a training contract for the first year.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: 747 FO

Anyone know if Air Methods has any dual rated positions ?
Old 03-02-2016, 04:56 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2011
Position: Chair flying

No dual positions. You are hired into a base for a specific aircraft. If you have the experience you could move and change equipment after the 18 month new hire-in-base requirement.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:59 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: BE20 Captain

Does anyone know about flexibility on hiring times? I've been flying King Airs and Single-engine turbines (KODI--VFR-only) in Afghanistan the last six years for a Part 135, including some EMS stuff, but only occasional. Got plenty of turbine time, but I'm short on the actual instrument time, though I have enough total instrument time in flight. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...