Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

3 pilot rotation question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Default 3 pilot rotation question

Anybody working a 91/135 with a 3 pilot account? would like to know if your days on/off has worked for you?
15/8 is what we are discussing for our operation.We are all pic qualified .
2 crew airplane.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Airline Captain

Did a 6/3 rotation once with 3 crews (3CA/3FO-6total). Each guy did 3days/3night/3off. I could see this modified to fit your scenario. I assume you have just three guys to cover both seats.

I would do 12/6 schedule. You do 6 days as a Captain, 6 days as an FO while 2nd pilot is doing 6 as captain. Then your six days off, pilot 2 is FO and pilot three is captain. It's a simple rotating no that's fair for everybody, but only works out if you guys are willing to cover for each other when extra days off are needed.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:28 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by Walkeraviator View Post
Did a 6/3 rotation once with 3 crews (3CA/3FO-6total). Each guy did 3days/3night/3off. I could see this modified to fit your scenario. I assume you have just three guys to cover both seats.

I would do 12/6 schedule. You do 6 days as a Captain, 6 days as an FO while 2nd pilot is doing 6 as captain. Then your six days off, pilot 2 is FO and pilot three is captain. It's a simple rotating no that's fair for everybody, but only works out if you guys are willing to cover for each other when extra days off are needed.
3 pilots all pic qualified we are determinig ehat might work .we r going to try 15/8 to start.When i say off it means off! did you ever have surprises? because if on days off and i go out if town for say 4 or 5 days i dont want to get a call for me to pack and go somewhere
Old 08-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Airline Captain

No, no surprises. Our days off were just that. Days off. If we were sick, we would call each other before calling the company. If they wanted to cover the day, it was time and a half pay. If not, thy just didn't answer their phone when company called.

In full disclosure, that was. working for the second largest air medical operator in the country at the time. When we were bought out by Air Methods, we hired a 4th crew and went to 7/7.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

It depends on your operator. Am on a 3 man crew for a very busy aircraft and it never works in our favor. Company thinks vacation (we have 2 weeks per year) is covered the 2 other crew members. How is that vacation when the other 2 guys have to work extra to cover? Plus they make us cover other aircraft, but other aircraft pilots never cover us. Needless to say, ours doesn't work terribly well. We try to do 14/7, which many times has been more like 21/7, 25/4.

We joke about negotiating a 7 on, 7 on, 7 on, 7 on schedule.