Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Any info on Gama/WheelsUp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 05:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by Jland0413 View Post
What are First Officer minimums as of right now?
I've heard some pilots graduate college and instead of flight instructing they fly for Wheels Up King Airs. Is that true or is this a company that wants more experience?
The official First Officer minimums are:

2,500 total time, 1,000 PIC, 1,000 Multi Engine, 500 Turbine.

Whoever told you that hour builders are coming here instead of flight instructing is jerking your gherkin!
Old 11-30-2016, 05:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016

That's what I figured haha Thanks guys.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
The official First Officer minimums are:

2,500 total time, 1,000 PIC, 1,000 Multi Engine, 500 Turbine.

Whoever told you that hour builders are coming here instead of flight instructing is jerking your gherkin!
I promise I'm not trolling, and do not mean this as inflammatory, but I have always found the FO mins interesting... In reading a few other posts about "kissing the ring", lack of seniority list, 81k for CAs, etc. What makes someone sit right seat in a King Air with way more experience than required to sit right seat in an RJ - especially, at the moment at least, with the future 121 hiring outlook? I guess I can see more varied flying, etc, but at the end of the day most flying jobs become a bit monotonous - trading a terminal for an FBO. Respectfully asking out of pure curiosity, nothing more.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet

Originally Posted by 60av8tor View Post
I promise I'm not trolling, and do not mean this as inflammatory, but I have always found the FO mins interesting... In reading a few other posts about "kissing the ring", lack of seniority list, 81k for CAs, etc. What makes someone sit right seat in a King Air with way more experience than required to sit right seat in an RJ - especially, at the moment at least, with the future 121 hiring outlook? I guess I can see more varied flying, etc, but at the end of the day most flying jobs become a bit monotonous - trading a terminal for an FBO. Respectfully asking out of pure curiosity, nothing more.

I ran into one of their "standards captains" the other day in the FP room at an FBO and he was pushing hard for me to come work for them. I don't know if he would get a referral bonus or if they are super short on staffing, seemed like a nice guy though.

I actually posed this question to him, why sit right seat in a small turboprop if you could sit right seat in a jet, for similar pay? He went into their benefits package etc, but yea, seems like high mins considering the state of the industry.

In any case I wouldn't be interested in trading the left seat of a 200 at over $500/day for the right seat of a 350 for $60/year or whatever they are paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by 60av8tor View Post
What makes someone sit right seat in a King Air with way more experience than required to sit right seat in an RJ - especially, at the moment at least, with the future 121 hiring outlook?
There is a big difference between 121 and 135. 121 operators require longer training footprints than 135 operators. That means there is less "hand holding." A 135 company will send you to a 142 training center where they will teach you the checkride, and nothing else. After that, you are sent to the line with no training wheels. Unlike 121 IOE, you won't get easy trips to help transition from the sim to the real world. Your first day could be a full 14 hour day with minimum turns doing special approaches into mountainous airports. That would never happen at an airline.

Part 135 companies generally have higher minimums because they need pilots who already know the basics of operating a turbine powered aircraft for revenue. Ideally, they want someone who has worked at another 135 or 121 company before.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016

I find the F/O minimum requirements extremely high. It is far different flying than airline schedules though but none the less, I agree that with that amount of time I'd rather be flying right seat in a shiny new RJ.
They are a good operation though with some rough spots that will hopefully smooth out over time.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post
I ran into one of their "standards captains" the other day in the FP room at an FBO and he was pushing hard for me to come work for them. I don't know if he would get a referral bonus or if they are super short on staffing, seemed like a nice guy though.

I actually posed this question to him, why sit right seat in a small turboprop if you could sit right seat in a jet, for similar pay? He went into their benefits package etc, but yea, seems like high mins considering the state of the industry.

In any case I wouldn't be interested in trading the left seat of a 200 at over $500/day for the right seat of a 350 for $60/year or whatever they are paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know!
Can you imagine someone actually wanting to fly a King Air rather than an RJ if the pay were the same?
Old 12-01-2016, 06:02 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
I know!
Can you imagine someone actually wanting to fly a King Air rather than an RJ if the pay were the same?
Exactly. This is why they are still hiring street captains who would normally be brought in the right seat despite having plenty of upgradable FO's.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

I think WU/Gama is a great opportunity considering the growth. The planned growth in membership will require many more pilots. That said, with regionals like PSA, Envoy and Piedmont offering $60K to start in the right seat as well as a legacy airline flow, Gama's starting salary and benefits seem less compelling. 121 flying isn't for everyone, but it certainly is a lot more attractive these days if you can find a pilot base location that works.

Bottom line: if WU/Gama wants to attract and retain pilots, compensation will have to increase to achieve its own growth targets...
Old 12-04-2016, 08:11 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2016

I have 5250 Total flight hours,4000 multi-engine,turbine,jet and King Air time,4000 pic time, Part 121 ,91 experience and can never here from them.Gama would be a perfect fit for me, living in Orlando FL.