Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #11  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Taco280AI's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2017
Posts: 564
Default

How likely is it that you'll have a 6am show to start your week, then get off at 10pm at the end of it? Too early to fly the morning of, too late to catch the last flight home type of situation.
Taco280AI is offline  
Old 10-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #12  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 28,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco280AI View Post
How likely is it that you'll have a 6am show to start your week, then get off at 10pm at the end of it? Too early to fly the morning of, too late to catch the last flight home type of situation.

Depends on the airline, base, equipment, and seniority.

More likely you'll have either am or pm trips, ie start early and end early, or start late and end late. Some places may have commutable trips (typically four-days) which start late and end early.

Start (very) early, end (very) late was the typical footprint at my last domicile. But there was a reason for that, and I didn't mind because I had a long drive on traffic-prone freeways, and I could avoid rush-hour on both ends. Also we had a trip rig so it paid more than equivalent am or pm trips.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 10-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #13  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 28,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreedrules View Post
I guess it depends on where you live. I would rather drive 20 minutes to the airport and catch an hour flight to work than drive 2+ hours in bad traffic.
Depends. All good until you run late and miss your flight home at the end. That's the worst feeling, and is sufficient justification for the gas cost to know my ride is waiting for me whenever I get done.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 10-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #14  
Gets Weekends Off
 
bigtime209's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,523
Default

If you can't sit at home on short call RSV (2 hrs most places), in my opinion, you don't live in base.
bigtime209 is offline  
Old 10-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #15  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 28,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtime209 View Post
If you can't sit at home on short call RSV (2 hrs most places), in my opinion, you don't live in base.
I live in base sometimes, depending on the time of day. I almost always live in base on weekends.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 10-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
chrisreedrules's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: CRJ FO
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Depends. All good until you run late and miss your flight home at the end. That's the worst feeling, and is sufficient justification for the gas cost to know my ride is waiting for me whenever I get done.
Meh... It hasnít happened yet in 3 years of commuting. If it does Iím resigned to it haha. I bid for trips that start and end around noon. Itís a pretty good way to prevent commuting issues.
chrisreedrules is offline  
Old 10-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Poser765's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreedrules View Post
Meh... It hasnít happened yet in 3 years of commuting. If it does Iím resigned to it haha. I bid for trips that start and end around noon. Itís a pretty good way to prevent commuting issues.
the secret to commuting is not caring and being flexible. I miss some commutes home, but you know what? Them the breaks.

Sometimes I don't even feel up to sitting in the back of an airplane to get home at the end of a long day
... I can't even imagine wrapping up 5 legs then driving 2 hours. F that.

Different strokes.
Poser765 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FedEx Eroding Workers' Living Standards TipTip35 Cargo 21 04-01-2009 04:10 AM
FDX- HKG Where is everyone living? boost Cargo 6 03-02-2009 03:11 PM
Emirates hiring (Part 2) Freight Dog Foreign 164 02-15-2007 11:46 AM
Dubai cost of living Dune Foreign 7 06-30-2006 08:18 AM
Living Hand to Mouth - Ben Stein HSLD Money Talk 2 02-07-2006 07:07 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:42 PM.