Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
contrails's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,745
Default PHL Parking

Did a search on the forums to no avail. I talked to a few different phone numbers at PHL today asking about parking to commute out of PHL to another airport.

They said they no longer let pilots and flight attendants who are not based at PHL get a parking pass for the airport. I asked about paying for a parking pass since I do not expect a free one being based elsewhere and they said you can park in the short term for $20 a day or economy for $11 a day. I was in the middle of asking another question but they hung up on me so here I am on APC asking all of you.

$44 a trip is about $176 a month to park there and that is $2,112 a year. There is absolutely no way I am going to pay $2,112 a year to park at PHL and I'm sure the people who commute out of PHL to other bases don't either.

Anyone have a solution to commuting out of PHL and parking a car somewhere during the four-day? SEPTA train fares are far too high for me to even consider using as an option. For now I will commute out of the airport that I have free parking at but I'd like to get parking at PHL to be an option in the near future.

Thanks if you have any answers.
contrails is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan
Posts: 3,227
Default

Your other option would be to piggyback in and out of the lot. I saw it all the time when I was based there...or maybe try and work out a deal with one of the local hotels that has shuttle service.
Slice is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
contrails's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Your other option would be to piggyback in and out of the lot. I saw it all the time when I was based there...
Hmm. I didn't even think of that. Where I have free parking (at a NYC airport) they have a little booth so they'd see. But if there's nobody watching I suppose that is an option. You've reminded me of one of my favorite Mr. Bean episodes.

YouTube - mr bean - In the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
or maybe try and work out a deal with one of the local hotels that has shuttle service.
I've thought about calling up the hotel that my company uses for PHL layovers but I'd like to see if anyone on here uses other places too.
contrails is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Posts: 167
Default

There has got to be a way for you to get that parking pass for the employee lot. All we had to do was get a TSA background check or something stupid like that, but it actually is just a way of delaying as long as possible to get a pass, then we filled out this new form with our name and company and that was it, I am not even sure they would even know you aren't based in PHL. PM me and I will give you the phone number for our administrative assistant here in Philly and he could possibly help you out, he knows all the ins and outs of this really pointless process. You should see some of the folks riding the employee bus, mostly likely rampers in the day time, thugs at night. I've overheard countless conversations about how mainline rampers wanted to "cut up" the express rampers. Maybe you don't want to deal with all this redtape, lol.
whoareyou310 is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
duvie's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: 737 CA
Posts: 894
Default

I was in the same boat and had the same results. I believe a few of the hotels like the Ramada have deals they will give to airline crew members.
duvie is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #6  
Line Holder
 
Invisible Man's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Posts: 75
Default

Try Preflight parking.
$70. a month
215-937-1700
Tell them you are airline crew.
IM
Invisible Man is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Dashdog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2007
Posts: 428
Default

I don't think you can reliably piggyback anymore. I come and go at all hours and there is always someone at the booth now. If you have any friends at Republic, USAir, or Air Wis. that are PHL based but don't use their pass, you could use theirs. I've never had my ID checked to make sure it is mine. It had better be a good friend though because it's a major PIA to get one. Also, at Air Wis, some PHL based pilots that don't use their parking pass get compensated for parking elsewhere, and are then ineligible to get one in PHL (they are eligible to get the equivalent amount that it costs the company to get them a PHL pass).
If that doesn't work, there are several private lots around the airport that cost $7-$9/day. Good luck.
Dashdog is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: E170 FO
Posts: 686
Default

Yeah, piggybacking is pretty tough at PHL now. They often stand there and make sure everyone swipes.
cbire880 is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #9  
Line Holder
 
coop77's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: Regional left seater
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrails View Post
Did a search on the forums to no avail. I talked to a few different phone numbers at PHL today asking about parking to commute out of PHL to another airport.

They said they no longer let pilots and flight attendants who are not based at PHL get a parking pass for the airport. I asked about paying for a parking pass since I do not expect a free one being based elsewhere and they said you can park in the short term for $20 a day or economy for $11 a day. I was in the middle of asking another question but they hung up on me so here I am on APC asking all of you.

$44 a trip is about $176 a month to park there and that is $2,112 a year. There is absolutely no way I am going to pay $2,112 a year to park at PHL and I'm sure the people who commute out of PHL to other bases don't either.

Anyone have a solution to commuting out of PHL and parking a car somewhere during the four-day? SEPTA train fares are far too high for me to even consider using as an option. For now I will commute out of the airport that I have free parking at but I'd like to get parking at PHL to be an option in the near future.

Thanks if you have any answers.
The 'Park n Jet' at the nearby Ramada charges $6.95/day for airline crewmembers. I use it pretty frequently, and having done a bit of research, I've found it is definitely the cheapest on a day-to-day basis. Shuttles to and from the lot run continuously. (610)521-6247
coop77 is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SilkySmooth's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: CR7/9 Left
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
Try Preflight parking.
$70. a month
215-937-1700
Tell them you are airline crew.
IM
I second that. Preflight has the nicest vans (leather seats and a free USA Today in the mornings), courteous drivers, the most frequent van service in PHL, and they give you an EZ Pass type transponder to use the van lane all while automatically charging your credit card $70/month. Do the math. I think you'll find that its cheaper than $6.95/day for most schedules. To sign up, drive up to the booth, tell them you want to sign up for monthly parking, drive to the back of the inside of the indoor parking building, and sign up with the personnel in the back office. I think you may need your airline ID. Good luck!
SilkySmooth is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commuter Parking @ IAH creativewebz Major 7 01-01-2016 03:02 AM
SFO Parking rightrudder Major 3 09-14-2008 12:16 PM
FDX - DEN parking DornierPilot Cargo 12 08-28-2008 08:32 PM
Commuters & Parking Mason32 Regional 13 08-17-2008 03:10 AM
Parking at NetJets Bases??? flyn96 Fractional 4 08-04-2008 06:37 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:18 PM.