Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Regional Regional airlines
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Crawl's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Errplanes
Posts: 367
Default Sick Out Policies?

Just out of curiosity, what are the policies at your carrier for calling out sick?

Phone call or computerized/online?

Minimum amount of time/notice required?

Must you provide a doctor's note, etc.?

Does the company ever investigate whether or not it is "genuine?"

Any other opinions on the matter are of interest to me. Thanks!
Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: CRJ
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are the policies at your carrier for calling out sick?

Phone call or computerized/online?

Minimum amount of time/notice required?

Must you provide a doctor's note, etc.?

Does the company ever investigate whether or not it is "genuine?"

Any other opinions on the matter are of interest to me. Thanks!
Phone call

2 hr call out

No dr note

And not that I'm aware of
AZFlyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,346
Default

I like that. Computerized sick call. Make it as easy as possible.
hockeypilot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
afterburn81's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: CR7
Posts: 1,056
Default

Must call, 2 hours out. Get harrased by schedulers as to why you have called in sick and what you need to do now. Then realize that if you have called in sick (or any other reason you cannot make it to work) more than 3 times in a year it will go on file and you will get a nice little email from the company. 5 times in a year, be ready for a meeting with the company on how you suck as employee. No donut for you.

Just one more thing to explain to your next employer when they check out your record during the application process.

I guess its working real well too.
afterburn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn81 View Post
Just one more thing to explain to your next employer when they check out your record during the application process.
When a company gets my record from ASA it IS NOT going to say how many times I called out sick.
ja2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captainv's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Knuckle-dragging line pilot
Posts: 943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2c View Post
When a company gets my record from ASA it IS NOT going to say how many times I called out sick.
Unless you go to DAL, or did that change?
captainv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2012
Posts: 355
Default

9E.. you won't hear anything until the 4th call in 12 mo.. once you make yourself a target (legit or otherwise), they will keep a very close eye.
9easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2008
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn81 View Post
Must call, 2 hours out. Get harrased by schedulers as to why you have called in sick and what you need to do now. Then realize that if you have called in sick (or any other reason you cannot make it to work) more than 3 times in a year it will go on file and you will get a nice little email from the company. 5 times in a year, be ready for a meeting with the company on how you suck as employee. No donut for you.

Just one more thing to explain to your next employer when they check out your record during the application process.

I guess its working real well too.
Ive never been harassed by a scheduler. "I'm calling in sick for my trip, thank you." Done! Never been asked questions. As for the letters, no big deal, it's when you have to meet with someone that it matters.

Continuously running year:
4 "warning" letter -useless
5 Chief pilot meeting
6 Board meeting


Delta is able to see your record due to a Georgia law that I'm not familiar with. All others can ask but your current employer is not suppose to give out that information.
JustAnotherPLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: forever fo
Posts: 2,406
Default

wow we have it good at Eagle....
lakehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
afterburn81's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: CR7
Posts: 1,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherPLT View Post
Ive never been harassed by a scheduler. "I'm calling in sick for my trip, thank you." Done! Never been asked questions. As for the letters, no big deal, it's when you have to meet with someone that it matters.

Continuously running year:
4 "warning" letter -useless
5 Chief pilot meeting
6 Board meeting


Delta is able to see your record due to a Georgia law that I'm not familiar with. All others can ask but your current employer is not suppose to give out that information.
I'm sure the harassment is a case by case basis. Not always but I have had issues.

As far as absences and record keeping I haven't a clue what the legalities are but there is something that has a little weight on these "occurrences". I had a talk with a chief pilot that can't stress enough how much Delta specifically looks into this. Again, I have no clue what is supposed to happen but the company likes to threaten you when you call in sick. I have seen it.

Now the FA's, that's another story. Those guys get fired for calling in all the time. Which I can't for the life of me understand how that hasn't become a lawsuit or something. It's like position discrimination. They fire at will with the FA's but pilots have never really had an issue.
afterburn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proposed Sick Leave Rules More Bacon Major 66 06-08-2012 12:16 PM
New sick leave language DoubleTrouble Major 12 05-25-2012 09:06 AM
Sick leave and mini-RLG (fedex) golfandfly Cargo 24 03-15-2011 01:24 PM
AA sick leave harassment ERJ135 Major 30 05-17-2008 06:57 PM
What does the LOA, CBA and sick leave fedupbusdriver Cargo 18 07-26-2007 07:57 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:50 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1