B767 engine fire-FLL

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 4 of 4
Go to
Quote: But even if the F/A's start the evacuation on their own, they should throw the evac signal switch. Once that is thrown, the cockpit crew will know that there is an evac happening. At that point, you stop what you are doing and do the evac checklist.
Is that an EICAS message? I don't think all airplanes/operators have an evacuation signal. The only thing I could think of is the DOORS EICAS message being displayed.
Quote: Is that an EICAS message? I don't think all airplanes/operators have an evacuation signal. The only thing I could think of is the DOORS EICAS message being displayed.
On the 767, (at least the ones I fly), there is an evac switch on the L1 panel just inside the L1 door. When the f/a turns on that switch it sounds the evac beeper. You hear it in the cockpit as well as throughout the cabin. My point is, if you hear that sound, you initiate the evacuation checklist.

So if this particular evacuation was initiated in the cabin as some have speculated, then the crew should have know there was an evac happening and done the correct checklist.
Quote: Nice. You *missed* my point I was asking him.

However, I know a crew that had a tailpipe fire. Ground/tower told them their engine was on fire. They did exactly that, evacuated. And a whole bunch of people went to the hospital that day.

Sometimes you are screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.
And we all watched the China Airlines 73-800 explode on the ramp from a fuel leak/engine fire, Hoss.

It wasn't perfect but there are no life threating injuries. The FLL responders were especially impressive.

"Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't" is no decision at all.
Quote: On the 767, (at least the ones I fly), there is an evac switch on the L1 panel just inside the L1 door
Some have it, some don't. It was optional.
Quote: On the 767, (at least the ones I fly), there is an evac switch on the L1 panel just inside the L1 door. When the f/a turns on that switch it sounds the evac beeper. You hear it in the cockpit as well as throughout the cabin. My point is, if you hear that sound, you initiate the evacuation checklist.

So if this particular evacuation was initiated in the cabin as some have speculated, then the crew should have know there was an evac happening and done the correct checklist.
It looked to me like the aft end was evacuating before the front end. Perhaps L1 was as in the dark as the cockpit. Maybe if we pay enough taxes we can fund an organization that will tell us what happened. Then we can all laugh at the boobs or not.
Quote: Some have it, some don't. It was optional.
Thanks for the info. Didn't realize that would be an option. Seems like a pretty important piece of safety equipment to have. We actually test ours each once day.
1  2  3  4 
Page 4 of 4
Go to