Is Cathay Pacific culture really that bad?

Subscribe
4  5  6  7  8  9 
Page 8 of 9
Go to
How people behave in a flight deck has very little to do with where they are from....., there are a holes in every country
Quote: How people behave in a flight deck has very little to do with where they are from....., there are a holes in every country
Oz just seems to have a higher percentage.
Quote: "Invented flying"... lol.
Yeah, that Leonardo DaVinci guy was from Staten Island, right??
First in flight is different from inventing.
Don't mess with American exceptionalism!
Good guys mostly. Same as anywhere else. There's some wankers in the bunch.

Unfortunately the upper levels have a lot to do with the crap culture.

Managers who think that their position will somehow make a certain appendage bigger.
I'm an Aussie and even I'd want to top myself after an experience like that

Quote: There's the Aussies! I have heard that THEY are the worst to fly with AND that accent.

"Lock yourself in a broom closet with the crocodile hunter for twelve hours and see what it's like", was what I was told.

Crikey
Potato chip

Im interested to know what it is about us Australians that requires us to lighten up in the cockpit?

Im not disagreeing, just curious.
Quote: Potato chip

Im interested to know what it is about us Australians that requires us to lighten up in the cockpit?

Im not disagreeing, just curious.
From my experience... friendly, great guys to grab a beverage with, but once the cockpit door closes no one is more anal. I've been quoted the book by Aussies more than anyone else (without asking what the book says).
Quote: From my experience... friendly, great guys to grab a beverage with, but once the cockpit door closes no one is more anal. I've been quoted the book by Aussies more than anyone else (without asking what the book says).

I have worked with pilots from pretty much every major country. The problem with generalizations is that, well, they're generalizations. My first instructor on the B777 (sim and line training) was an Australian. Great guy who I learned a lot from.

If you ask pilots not from America for a generalization of American pilots it will likely be that they are cowboys who don't follow SOPs and can't use standard phraseology on the radio.

In the case of Australians the anal retentive or pedantic tag comes up quite often, just as the cowboy tag comes up quite often when speaking about Americans. So there must be some element of truth to these stereotypes, and in my experience there is. As with all pilot groups there are the 10%ers. In the case of the Australians, the worst 10%ers are anal retentive/pedantic pricks, but the vast majority are fine. Just like with Americans the 10%ers are cowboys who don't follow SOPs and wouldn't know a standard radio call if it bit them in the behind, but again the vast majority are fine.

That's my two cents. Now someone please direct me to Kitty Hawk, NC
One reason American RT is as you say bad. It really is not. It's just not standard ICAO. The reason is primarily due to the massive amounts of radio communication taking place. My theory when asked about my RT. My answer is that communication took place between the two parties in the most efficient and effective ways. We both understand what each wants from the other. In the end, is that not the point?
Quote: I have worked with pilots from pretty much every major country. The problem with generalizations is that, well, they're generalizations. My first instructor on the B777 (sim and line training) was an Australian. Great guy who I learned a lot from.

If you ask pilots not from America for a generalization of American pilots it will likely be that they are cowboys who don't follow SOPs and can't use standard phraseology on the radio.

In the case of Australians the anal retentive or pedantic tag comes up quite often, just as the cowboy tag comes up quite often when speaking about Americans. So there must be some element of truth to these stereotypes, and in my experience there is. As with all pilot groups there are the 10%ers. In the case of the Australians, the worst 10%ers are anal retentive/pedantic pricks, but the vast majority are fine. Just like with Americans the 10%ers are cowboys who don't follow SOPs and wouldn't know a standard radio call if it bit them in the behind, but again the vast majority are fine.

That's my two cents. Now someone please direct me to Kitty Hawk, NC
Agreed, and at least on the Royal Australian Air Force Side, those guys are awesome, they'll drink anyone under the table and super laid back to work with. They also have no problem flying 250kt low levels at 150A
4  5  6  7  8  9 
Page 8 of 9
Go to