T-45 fatal in Tellico Plains, Tennessee

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 9
Go to
Quote: The RR Turbomeca Adour engine in the Hawk goes back to 1968. There are dozens of high-bypass lightweight turbofans developed in the last few years by several manufacturers that could have been selected to power a modern twin-engine trainer. For whatever reason, the Navy bought an old design airplane powered by a single old design engine, and did so at a horrendous budget cost. I think it was a horrible decision for which no one is being held accountable.
The Hawke was ordered by the Navy in 1981. First flight was in 1988.
Quote: The Hawke was ordered by the Navy in 1981. First flight was in 1988.
The BAe Hawk, with the RR Adour engine, first flew in 1974 when BAe was still Hawker Siddeley. At least the original had an oxygen system that worked.
Quote: The BAe Hawk, with the RR Adour engine, first flew in 1974 when BAe was still Hawker Siddeley. At least the original had an oxygen system that worked.
Both the airframe and engines are highly updated versions.
Plain and simple. Pointing out that the first flight of the original engine was in 1968 is meaningless.

OBOGS has had trouble in nearly ALL airframes.
Guess making breathable O2 out of engine bleed air isn't simple.

Your habit of always trying to make more out of a problem than there is makes your posts less and less meaningful in my opinion.
If anyone thinks an 1981 era BAE Hawk is anyway close to the same airplane as the T-45C Goshawk, I would ask that you take your expertise elsewhere... I would argue you have less to offer the discussion than anyone cares to refute.
This one sucks. I cruised with the IP in '13-14 and crushed beers with him in Bahrain. Guess it was only a matter of time before someone I knew got their number called. Stay safe out there.
Quote: If anyone thinks an 1981 era BAE Hawk is anyway close to the same airplane as the T-45C Goshawk, I would ask that you take your expertise elsewhere... I would argue you have less to offer the discussion than anyone cares to refute.
Why yes, the US Navy version is heavier, slower, has less range, payload, and a lower service ceiling than most other Hawk versions. This after only 14 years in development for the Navy.
Quote: Why yes, the US Navy version is heavier, slower, has less range, payload, and a lower service ceiling than most other Hawk versions. This after only 14 years in development for the Navy.
It's a trainer dipchit, not a frontline fighter. The other Hawk versions can't land on the boat. Care to fancy a guess how many carrier quald aviators have earned their wings in it?

It's got enough range to take good deal low level cross countries, enough ceiling to go to 410, and enough payload to drop mk76's or a blivet to haul all your crap on the road.
All I am saying is that if the Navy had bought, or developed, a twin-engine trainer with a reliable oxygen system there would be quite a few more airplanes on the line today and quite a few more Navy pilots alive. The whole wretched program has 'Political Influence' written all over it, because you really can't achieve this level of stupid.
Quote: Why yes, the US Navy version is heavier, slower, has less range, payload, and a lower service ceiling than most other Hawk versions. This after only 14 years in development for the Navy.
It's a custom-built tailhook trainer. It's fine for that, other than OBOGs malfunctions which are more likely a result of technical issues than corruption.
Quote: All I am saying is that if the Navy had bought, or developed, a twin-engine trainer with a reliable oxygen system there would be quite a few more airplanes on the line today and quite a few more Navy pilots alive. The whole wretched program has 'Political Influence' written all over it, because you really can't achieve this level of stupid.
OBOGS is a system, its in the Hornet, Super, Raptor, etc. It's failures are not unique to the airplane. A twin engine trainer for the Navy Jet pipeline buys you nothing more more cost. So you're saying the A-4 was a terrible airplane.....
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 9
Go to