LAX/SFO for a newbie?

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to
When you say 2 hours… is that with traffic?
Quote: I'm in a similar position. Between a short flight to LAX and a 2 hr drive to SFO. Going through the interview process now. How do the flying and trips compare to each other between the airframes at these 2 bases? Pros/Cons of either airframe at either base? I want to be prepped if given the offer!
CRJ FAT.
Line holder in a month or two. Good commute from either SFO or LAX. High hour pairings. Upgrade in 12-14ish months. DEN & West Coast flying.
Get in. Get out. Move on.
How long is SFO ERJ reserve? How is the availability to pick up open time?
Quote: Erj. Sfo.
commuting sucks and the crj is dying a slow death on the west coast
Looks like you can hold SFO at the completion of training or soon after, but what does the SFO reserve look situation look like on Erj?

Quote: When you say 2 hours… is that with traffic?
1:30 without traffic, 2:30 with

Quote: CRJ FAT.
Line holder in a month or two. Good commute from either SFO or LAX. High hour pairings. Upgrade in 12-14ish months. DEN & West Coast flying.
Get in. Get out. Move on.
I like the sound of that! FAT would be about a 2:45 - 3:15 drive, but that seniority sounds like it's probably worth the extra hour each way.

LAX would be a 30 min drive to SMF, then a 1 hr flight with lots of own metal options.
Quote: Looks like you can hold SFO at the completion of training or soon after, but what does the SFO reserve look situation look like on Erj?

1:30 without traffic, 2:30 with

I like the sound of that! FAT would be about a 2:45 - 3:15 drive, but that seniority sounds like it's probably worth the extra hour each way.

LAX would be a 30 min drive to SMF, then a 1 hr flight with lots of own metal options.
When commuting by air you need to factor in the drive to the airport and arriving one hour prior to push then arriving at your domicile sometimes hours prior to show time (will you have a backup flight?). The reverse is true when going home, plan on sitting around the domicile sometimes for hours until the next flight to your hometown, plus the drive to your house. It really adds up even for a short commute.
Quote: When commuting by air you need to factor in the drive to the airport and arriving one hour prior to push then arriving at your domicile sometimes hours prior to show time (will you have a backup flight?). The reverse is true when going home, plan on sitting around the domicile sometimes for hours until the next flight to your hometown, plus the drive to your house. It really adds up even for a short commute.
Exactly this. I'm forced to commute now that my base closed; I currently assume 12 hrs will be lost per pairing to commuting. 5 pairings a month, 60 hrs/2.5days x 12 months equals 30 days lost per year.
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to