New hire Rookie Mistakes

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to
Quote: Was this in Manas a few years ago? I didn’t think that was OE though. Didn’t the captain bail him out via ATM withdrawals?
That was Almaty and yes, the captain had to go to the atm. Sounds like this might be different, they wasn't an ioe trip
Keep an eye on that Z time thing. As a new hire I had a buddy look at my schedule and saw pdx hot reserve on Tuesday so he suggested I go home for the weekend. I did and guess what, on the west coast Tuesday Z starts on Monday! I made it by the skin of my teeth.

Also, forget how they did it at your old company. It's been the same at every job I ever had. Nobody gives a f&*#. Same with the better equipment /panel your used too. Fugedaboudit. In a year or so you'll be used to a much better pay check and you won't miss your super fmc every other Monday.
When you're in your 2nd year and vacation time approaches, you must decide whether or not you want to use OCV a bid period prior to your vacation bid period and bid accordingly. I wanted to use OCV but didn't realize my carryout trip that was conflict dropped (then restored fully) locked me into traditional vacation rules for my actual vacation days. Please feel free to reach out if you want more details. I would've bid differently in both bid periods had I been aware of this. Totally my fault for not knowing, but if I can help someone else avoid this mistake, I'd be glad to do so.
That OCV stuff isn’t just a new hire rookie mistake. Darn near every bid period someone has a question about how to bid for OCV on the B & G
Make sure to drink YOUR Guava juice out of Honolulu.
Quote: Any idea how many UPS pilots commute versus live in base?
The number of commuters varies greatly in each domicile. I’ve been told that some ~80% of ANC crew members commute.
Of the last 30-35 Anchorage newhires I only know of 1 (one) who actually lives in Igloostan (I’m keedin’, I like Alaska).

So I’d imagine the percentage of ANC commuters will only keep creeping up. ..but hey, the commuting problem has been solved because you can’t double-book anymore..
Fun times ahead..
Quote: Make sure to drink YOUR Guava juice out of Honolulu.
I heard that story! What a lunatic! Plus does Guava Juice even taste good?
Quote: Don't place a higher priority on your cell phone than operating the aircraft (if you want to keep your job)

Don't argue on the B&G.

Don't buy a house until you make it thru training/finish probation.
Interested in the story behind buying a house. Are you saying the risk you might not make it through your first year? How often does that actually happen? Or just the financial strain of buying a home according to year 2 pay and eating pop tarts and Ramen while trying to make your house payment for the first year?
Quote: Interested in the story behind buying a house. Are you saying the risk you might not make it through your first year? How often does that actually happen? Or just the financial strain of buying a home according to year 2 pay and eating pop tarts and Ramen while trying to make your house payment for the first year?
UPS could move you
Quote: Interested in the story behind buying a house. Are you saying the risk you might not make it through your first year? How often does that actually happen? Or just the financial strain of buying a home according to year 2 pay and eating pop tarts and Ramen while trying to make your house payment for the first year?
How often does that actually happen ? Depends on the individual. Every airline has "right-sized" within a few years after I've been on property. I've been at UPS long enough, you should be safe.

At my first airline, after 1.5-2 years, went from almost upgrade to almost furloughed in a few months. Parked half their fleet during a merger, FWIW.

#2 went bankrupt 8 months after I was at #3 ... Lucky me !

#3 furloughed hundreds after 9/11, not lucky this time !

UPS might not furlough again in the near future, but they will move bodies around and displace/realign indiscriminately. The furlough may have only been 109, the details have been bemoaned enough already. Hundreds more were churned around the bottom of the list as the airline realigned and optimized itself.

Just don't take a dive into the pool while you are still at the shallow end. Get your feet wet first, proceed with caution.
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to