Line pilots to be "pretend" students for TK

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 11
Go to
This may be a maneuver to get enough active pilots trained as PIs to skirt one of management's openers - allowing retirees to be PIs.

Nothing personal, but my experience with retiree instructors has been suboptimal. Given how often procedures change, I don't want to be taught line procedures by someone who hasn't recently flown the line.
Quote: This may be a maneuver to get enough active pilots trained as PIs to skirt one of management's openers - allowing retirees to be PIs.

Nothing personal, but my experience with retiree instructors has been suboptimal. Given how often procedures change, I don't want to be taught line procedures by someone who hasn't recently flown the line.
Agree, active PI’s should be a line in the sand as strong as scope.
Quote: This may be a maneuver to get enough active pilots trained as PIs to skirt one of management's openers - allowing retirees to be PIs.

Agree. Went through IAH 737, never had a line pilot PI until the end and the training was a joke until that point.

Agree 737 training with retired instructors in IAH was AWFUL. had a guy who related everything back to the 727
Quote: Agree 737 training with retired instructors in IAH was AWFUL. had a guy who related everything back to the 727
At least he wasn't using the DC-9 as a reference.
Quote: At least he wasn't using the DC-9 as a reference.
DC Transfer Bus
Quote: DC Transfer Bus
A, B, Both, & Ovrd
It’s a company “special assignment”... covered under UPA.
Quote: Yep never seen this kind of thing before, but you all realize the LOA over the moving TK from IAH is about to run out. Many of the instructors and evaluators are leaving and they have a new training footprint “fixing” all the complaints we line pilots have made.

Personally getting paid 90 hours to practice train and not commute isn’t worth the loss of days off. But a reserve commuter may see it another way. Now should they have bid it or this volunteer thing? Haven’t heard a thing from ALPA and I guarantee you all our Training Comm knew about it before yesterday.
Nailed it. The company is still manpower FUBAR. They are losing a bunch of warm bodies at TK due to the sunset of the grandfather rights. They have to train a BUNCH of newbies.Not enough fresh meat to train so they want to pay some of us in overstaffed fleets to train the replacement PI's.

What could go wrong? I forget, why does DAL make more in profit sharing?
Look, I’m as skeptical as the next guy but come on! If the DENFTC management didn’t think outside of the box and did not offer this UPA compliant special assignment opportunity and in the Fall, we were not able to train new hires and upgrades due to lack of instructors, what would we be saying? Let me guess, things like “they should have been on this earlier in the Spring/Summer!!” , “they knew many PI’s etc were going to return to the line. If they really wanted trained instructors, they would have figured out a way to get this done!”
Well, they are figuring out a way to get it done and the method complies with the UPA and offers some pilots a change of pace with a 90 hour credit month to boot. I’d much rather have them spooling up seniority list instructors in this manner than getting boxes in and trading advancement opportunities for contract instructors etc.
my .02. Worth both pennies.
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 11
Go to