😔 Guard C-130 Down

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 9
Go to
Quote: Looks like something asymmetric... engine out, flaps, elevators. Too bad they didn't send it to DM last month
Rumor only:Lost an engine after departure and on the return to SAV lost a second engine same side.
Quote: Js now, I hated the H..every time I took off I spent the whole flight wondering what would go wrong today. They had their run, they all need to be sent to the bone yard.
Dramatic much?
Quote: Rumor only:Lost an engine after departure and on the return to SAV lost a second engine same side.
Still should have been able to fly with 2 out on the same side as long as the plane weighed less than 120K. We practiced this in the Sim. Could have been a number of things: rudder hardover, prop malfunction and would not feather or the crew didn't get to that point in time. C-130E's do not have auto-feather, when an engine quits you have to manually pull the condition level to feather. Always a chance to pull the wrong lever too, that's why our SOP's call for verifying the correct lever with the F/E.
Quote: Dramatic much?
No, reality. Old airplanes maintained by 19 yr olds. In my airline and fractional aviation career from 1989 until last year I've only had one incident where I could have declared an emergency (no flap landing).

In 2700 hours flying C-130E's from 1982-89 I had ELEVEN inflight emergencies. 8 were engine failures/shut downs, 3 were hydraulic boost pack malfunctions. Nothing like uncommanded control inputs to get your attention.
Quote: I think it was a brief stopover in SAV, probably not long enough for controls to get mis-rigged.
Agreed, wasn’t trying to diagnose. Just pointing out an aileron or rudder surface could cause the same flight profile.
Quote: Agreed, wasn’t trying to diagnose. Just pointing out an aileron or rudder surface could cause the same flight profile.
Yes they could. Almost has to be something mechanically catastrophic. It was going to the boneyard, so presumably no cargo. I assume even two engines out on one side would be manageable in an empty C-130?
Quote: The flight path may possibly indicate a split flap occurred on flap retraction? the left flap retracted from the take-off position but the right one didn't and then they couldn't lower the left flap back into position to compensate. Don't know if that is even possible on the C-130. The aircraft is rotating about the roll axis even in a 90 degrees nose-down attitude. Beyond tragic. Prayers for the families.
C-130s have asymmetrical flap protection (left vs right side) but not split flap protection (onboard left flap vs inboard left flap)
Quote: No, reality. Old airplanes maintained by 19 yr olds. In my airline and fractional aviation career from 1989 until last year I've only had one incident where I could have declared an emergency (no flap landing).

In 2700 hours flying C-130E's from 1982-89 I had ELEVEN inflight emergencies. 8 were engine failures/shut downs, 3 were hydraulic boost pack malfunctions. Nothing like uncommanded control inputs to get your attention.
You’re not factoring in the MTBF on parts that the military is willing to accept that airlines aren’t. If a part has a MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) of 200 hours, the military might think that’s fine, but t the airlines will laugh you out of the room.

Those 19 year olds right out of MX school have oversight by 5 and 7 levels. It’s not like some kid is just Slapping things together.
Quote: Even worse
Don't feel bad. I flew the A.

Great airplane, when the wings stayed on.
Quote: Still should have been able to fly with 2 out on the same side as long as the plane weighed less than 120K. We practiced this in the Sim. Could have been a number of things: rudder hardover, prop malfunction and would not feather or the crew didn't get to that point in time. C-130E's do not have auto-feather, when an engine quits you have to manually pull the condition level to feather. Always a chance to pull the wrong lever too, that's why our SOP's call for verifying the correct lever with the F/E.
You need weight below 120k and you MUST have 160 KIAS, or you need to unload or descend to get the speed. Hopefully you have the altitude. If you've lost 2 on the same side, you're heavy/slow and the engineer instinctively reaches up and closes the bleeds on the 2 good engines, you'll have more yaw than the very large rudder can overcome.

The video looks like the airplane rolled left and then yawed hard left and just quit flying.

A Southern Air plane crashed in the 80s and it seems similar. The setup was different, but that plane yawed so quickly into the simulated dead engine the airplane pretty much turned sideways in flight and stalled/crashed.

RIP to the crew...Here's a toast.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 9
Go to