Ties In The Workforce

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Page 5 of 8
Go to
Quote: The "adequate O2 seal" is a more of a myth and the AC where the FAA "studied" it is 30 years old. In Europe, beards are common with pilots, and for some reason, they don't have that problem.

Better tell certain O2 mask manufacturers. I’ve seen some 121 approved masks that have a warning to the effect of “facial hair will not allow a good seal.”
Quote: Better tell certain O2 mask manufacturers. I’ve seen some 121 approved masks that have a warning to the effect of “facial hair will not allow a good seal.”
No facial hair is a standard requirement for anyone working in a chemical plant, oil refinery, etc. An O2 mask fit test and training for a SCOTT air pack (like Fire Fighters wear) is mandatory once a year. Even a contract construction or maintenance worker entering an operating plant is required to shave or is forbidden from entering.
Quote: No facial hair is a standard requirement for anyone working in a chemical plant, oil refinery, etc. An O2 mask fit test and training for a SCOTT air pack (like Fire Fighters wear) is mandatory once a year. Even a contract construction or maintenance worker entering an operating plant is required to shave or is forbidden from entering.

Same for wearing EABs on submarines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: No facial hair is a standard requirement for anyone working in a chemical plant, oil refinery, etc. An O2 mask fit test and training for a SCOTT air pack (like Fire Fighters wear) is mandatory once a year. Even a contract construction or maintenance worker entering an operating plant is required to shave or is forbidden from entering.
Yeah it seems pretty obvious that if there is hair, regardless of how fine it may be, would allow a gap.
Quote: My personal favorites are the pilots whose ties, for whatever reason (gut, zipper tie too short, can’t tie a real tie correctly), only go down two-thirds from the collar to the belt buckle. Look like a bunch of cartoon characters walking around.

Quote: Same for wearing EABs on submarines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The frog men wore beards. Crews had beard contests during long underway periods. Also, it's not an O2 mask, so your face won't spontaneously combust because your beard is O2 saturated.

I think the face seal issue is over blown. But I wouldn't want an oxygen saturated beard in a fire.
The IBM look from the 60s is long gone. Corporate America pretty much across-the-board now doesn’t wear suits and ties. Also the flying public does not care. They hardly ever even look at or notice the pilots. Most corporate pilots don’t wear the historic uniform. The best option is probably a mix of something more casual but still the uniform.
Quote: The frog men wore beards. Crews had beard contests during long underway periods. Also, it's not an O2 mask, so your face won't spontaneously combust because your beard is O2 saturated.

I think the face seal issue is over blown. But I wouldn't want an oxygen saturated beard in a fire.
Yep. Also got to remember, beards are not a problem anywhere else in the world.
Quote: An airline pilot’s uniform should express his true, inner self, regardless of how others feel about it.

@Tom, which one represents your "true, inner self"?

I don't reckon I should be surprised anymore, but it seems that threads about pilot vanity typically go on and on.

And on.

Ad nauseum.

Self assessment: Are you vain? Is vanity a virtue or a fault?

Just sayin'.

And askin'

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Page 5 of 8
Go to