American vs. Southwest

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  11 
Page 1 of 16
Go to
Any folks have any insight or thoughts as to why American over Southwest or vice versa? Any and all data/comments/input are welcome.
I think there is another thread out there with this same topic but with UA also thrown in the mix.

Answer - go with where you live or want to eventually live. Other than that, it’s like betting on a horse - you just never know.
Yeah, I couldn’t find the thread with American and Southwest in it. I found some comparisons with FEDEX but not with Southwest. That could largely be due to my lack of technological skills
If you’re uncertain I’d go with SW.
Quote: That could largely be due to my lack of technological skills
You’ll fit right in at SWA.
Are you under 40? Go with swa.

Swa has a great balance sheet and has a minimal chance of going bust in the next 25yrs. AA has a lot of debt.

Fyi: I picked AA but I’m in my late 40’s
AA has much faster seniority progression and widebody (higher paying) flying. Flying a 737 for 30+ years sounds miserable to me.
A buddy in my squadron just had this dilemma, both offers within a couple of weeks from each other.

He’d have to commute to both, and he said he thought the SWA culture was more of his thing, plus he was really worried about AA as a company.

Hopefully that’s the right choice for him. Both are great for VERY different reasons.

What the heck do I know, as a kid I wanted to work for Pan Am or Braniff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: AA has much faster seniority progression and widebody (higher paying) flying. Flying a 737 for 30+ years sounds miserable to me.

So. Much. This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 737 is light on creature comforts. To me, though, the pros of having one single huge fleet outweigh the cons. SWA does a lot of different types of flying, and as a mid seniority FO I fly with guys who work 25 days a month and guys that fly 12 MBJ turns a month and never sleep in a hotel.
Anyone can fly any flight. That creates a huge opportunity pool and ways to skin the cat.
I’ve done the long haul over the ocean circadian f job. My body doesn’t like it. I regret not having the opportunity to do it later if I want, but I’ll take the silver lining to that cloud.
1  2  3  4  5  11 
Page 1 of 16
Go to