GAMA / WHEELS UP - Current Pilot Experiences

Subscribe
16  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30 
Page 26 of 34
Go to
Quote: Any systems questions on previous aircraft flown?
Why would a King Air operator ask me systems questions on DC-9s, MD-80s, 737s or 777s? Or T-28s for that matter?
Quote: Why would a King Air operator ask me systems questions on DC-9s, MD-80s, 737s or 777s? Or T-28s for that matter?
It happens, but probably not here.
Quote: Why would a King Air operator ask me systems questions on DC-9s, MD-80s, 737s or 777s? Or T-28s for that matter?
If they're wanting to assess your technical proficiency during an interview they would. Your most recent aircraft is usually fair game, because you're supposed to know it. It's not about the size of what you're moving out of/into, it's about seeing how sharp you are.
No such thing as a FO position with WheelsUp
Quote: I’ve been thinking about applying for a FO position with WU. I certainly meet the mins (have an ATP and 500 multi-jet). I just wanted to get some feedback from the current pilots on something a little more subjective. How do you all like flying the King Air 350 on an eight day stretch? Are you counting the days until you are upgraded to the jet fleet, or are you enjoying it?

I think the King Air 350 looks like it would be a very fun airplane. I have some experience in the Pilatus PC-12 and really enjoyed it. A buddy of mine who is in jets recently remarked to me that flying a King Air that much (on an eight day schedule) would be awful (as compared to working in jets). I know you’re cruising lower and dealing with more weather, but that doesn’t really bother me. My eventual goal is not the major airlines, which is also why I don’t mind going from jets to props. Any thoughts on how you all do or don’t like the airplane? Thanks very much.
First off, you will be interviewed by Gama Aviation and if hired you will become a Gama Aviation pilot. WheelsUp does not employ pilots. I came with a lot of single engine PT6 time. I like the King Air and have no interest in flying the jets. I have flown jets and enjoy the take offs and landings but have no interest in the hours of boredom in between. My longest King Air flights are about 3 hours and most are :45 to 1:45 in length. There is no difference in pay between the King Air and either of the jets. At this point in my career I want to enjoy my job and make money. That’s happening to me right now at Gama Aviation.
Quote: If they're wanting to assess your technical proficiency during an interview they would. Your most recent aircraft is usually fair game, because you're supposed to know it. It's not about the size of what you're moving out of/into, it's about seeing how sharp you are.
Unless they're qualified in that airplane how would they know if I'm sharp or just a good BSer?
Quote: Unless they're qualified in that airplane how would they know if I'm sharp or just a good BSer?
They read body language and how you answer to determine if you are confident in your answers, IF they’ve never flown the aircraft.
Quote: They read body language and how you answer to determine if you are confident in your answers, IF they’ve never flown the aircraft.
That would be a good trick in this day of Skype and phone interviews.
Quote: That would be a good trick in this day of Skype and phone interviews.
Well, you’ve got to fog a mirror. 😂 I was more talking about other companies’ interviews.
Someone who does it often can tell from a phone call that they’re being bull****ted, but that’s not really the point. It’s just another way to get to know them and their experience better before they assign them to a class in our training program.
How does Wheels Up view checkride unsatifactories.
Quote: How does Wheels Up view checkride unsatifactories.
Someone else might be able field that question better. There are a lot of variables. But I can tell you, Wheels Up doesnt hire pilots, and if hired you do not work for Wheels Up.
16  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30 
Page 26 of 34
Go to