Can pilots have other jobs while flying?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to
Where state are you in? I'm located in Pennsylvania.
Quote: Where state are you in? I'm located in Pennsylvania.
I’m in Vegas
Quote: I just stated as and FO at a regional airline and I was wondering what other pilots do for extra money.

I’m just seeing what other jobs that pilot have to make extra money while flying. I’m just looking to see what jobs pilots are able to have and how they got into those side jobs.

One of the risks, which I haven’t seen anyone mentioned in here, is that if you pick up another part time flying gig there is the risk of something happening at your part time job that will adversely affect your full time professional flying career. I was told this by the old timers: Retired airline Captains. They advice me to avoid like the plague for that very reason.
I started flying in 1980.. been through mergers, lay offs, medical issues..etc. My advice is start a business outside of flying! Then you always have something to fall back on, find an interest and work around that. Maybe real estate, building, fixing, networking..etc
Quote: One of the risks, which I haven’t seen anyone mentioned in here, is that if you pick up another part time flying gig there is the risk of something happening at your part time job that will adversely affect your full time professional flying career. I was told this by the old timers: Retired airline Captains. They advice me to avoid like the plague for that very reason.
I agree. You have to try pretty hard to earn certificate action at a good 121 carrier... you have many layers of defense, (usually) a competent partner, and ASAP.

Much easier to get violated due to circumstances or the omissions of others in 91. Have a buddy who *almost* lost his legacy job opportunity because of shady behavior in 91 GA... and it wasn't even his shady behavior. He was able to negotiate a large fine in lieu of certificate action before the class date.

I may fly professionally after I retire from 121, but not before. Sticking to recreational GA for now.
Quote: My friend has been a pilot on domestic flights for several years. According to him, a pilot cannot have a second official job, but no one forbids freelancing if it affects the pilot's condition and job security.
You absolutely can and many do have a second job or a side hustle.
I’m sure lots of pilots have side hustles, but it’s best if it isn’t flying related and more entrepreneurial.

Flipping houses, contract work, freelance writer or photographer, DJ, those are some things jumping out at me
Soccer coach.
Quote: I’m sure lots of pilots have side hustles, but it’s best if it isn’t flying related and more entrepreneurial.
Yes, but you can fly on the side all you want, any time day or night with no regulatory issues at all if it's for Uncle Sugar. All you have to do is show up rested for the airline job (but they give you a day for that too).
There is one pilot on here who reserves one weekend a month to work a couple of nights as an RN at a hospital. It kept his certifications current. Some made fun of him, but when furloughs came around, he had a good fall back position.
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to