American ever gonna start service overseas?

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to
Should the young folks just starting out change careers if pilots get replaced with computers?
Quote: Should the young folks just starting out change careers if pilots get replaced with computers?
You know...."learn to code!"
Quote: Should the young folks just starting out change careers if pilots get replaced with computers?
As much as every industry seems to be driving in that direction, pilots (humans) will never be replaced with computers. Airlines would lose so many customers due to lack of trust. The 737 Max was dependent on a computer and look how that turned out... Maybe in the far future we may see “computer programmers” at the controls, but don’t
most of us fit that category now?
Quote: As much as every industry seems to be driving in that direction, pilots (humans) will never be replaced with computers. Airlines would lose so many customers due to lack of trust. The 737 Max was dependent on a computer and look how that turned out... Maybe in the far future we may see “computer programmers” at the controls, but don’t
most of us fit that category now?
Kinda. But there have been reminders in recent history like Air France 447 and Colgan 3407 and a couple of close calls I can't remember right now. So you do kinda sorta need to know how to fly occasionally.
Quote: Kinda. But there have been reminders in recent history like Air France 447 and Colgan 3407 and a couple of close calls I can't remember right now. So you do kinda sorta need to know how to fly occasionally.
There isn't even CPDLC worldwide yet (even though CPDLC was introduced in what 90's). it will take a monumental amount of investment in worldwide surveillance and command/control before a pilotless plane would be feasible..... computer only planes....not with me onboard.
Quote: There isn't even CPDLC worldwide yet (even though CPDLC was introduced in what 90's). it will take a monumental amount of investment in worldwide surveillance and command/control before a pilotless plane would be feasible..... computer only planes....not with me onboard.
The other issue is software reliability. I don't remember one OS that doesn't have issues, starting from MS-DOS (sigh, yuk) to Apple's or MS current OS. SABRE crashes or freezes, FMS freeze (no matter which a/c manufacturer). At this point I don't think that an a/c OS can be written completely error free.

Let's not start about hacking... Another HUGE issue.
Quote: I like Tulsa. Downtown is a blast.
What, you mean the Blue Dome district?
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to