American or Southwest?

Subscribe
12  18  19  20  21  22 
Page 22 of 22
Go to
Huaa Army! Of course the thread is about deciding between the two…. I recognize some of that sAArcasm.

SWA has new hires this month. I wonder how many don’t show for class.

Anyway, you have to look at the long term and one can only do that with today’s information. Unfortunately, the past two years have been so screwy we can’t really paint a long term picture for any airline.

What we do know for sure is the big retirement numbers coming in the next five years don’t include many from SWA.

They are both good gigs. Different culture for sure, but if you can live in a domicile you want….
Quote: My neighbor is a 20+ year AAL. I am a 3.5yr FO SWA. I am home a lot more than he is, and there is no doubt I enjoy my job more from talking to him. I will make $200k this year, and I’m just getting started on the pay scale. Vaccine mandate garbage aside, I am very happy at SW.
Well, that’s part of the problem, a 20 year guy is typically going to ***** a bit more. They have probably experienced some ruts in their career and will sport ***** about it despite things being pretty decent right now. They were likely Furloughed, or stapled, or in a decade long merger battle over seniority, or went through bankruptcy. You get the picture. Vs a 2014 hire that might be as little as a few hundred numbers Jr to them. I’m not a kool-aid company guy, but I am happy here. I know several SWA pilots that left for AA, they are happy too. I’m sure SWA is a great gig, but I’m sure it has problems too.
A “20 year LAA” guy might have been furloughed for 14 years (if they chose to defer that long) and Junior to a USairways guy hired in 2013. Even then they would have had decent NB FO seniority the last few years
Quote: I’m willing to bet there is more going on with your AA neighbors attitude such as a 17 more years of life sucking labor, likely declining health just due to age, maybe a stale marriage that’s well behind honeymoon stage of a young FO, financial pressure of multiple private schools/colleges and mouths to feed with a stay at home wife. Probably has him jaded with everything. Things are sunshine and kittens when you are younger and fresh. Probably best to compare apples to apples.
Is this what I have to look forward to? Life is depressing…
Quote: Is this what I have to look forward to? Life is depressing…

Not necessarily.....you can do your best to stay fit, healthy and live within your means. Much of this stuff is self inflicted.
Quote: Not necessarily.....you can do your best to stay fit, healthy and live within your means. Much of this stuff is self inflicted.
I don’t know, Waggy sounded pretty certain when he rang up the list of things bothering the person he’s never met. If he’s that certain about this stranger, it must be a pretty common result of life. Plus, healthy and fit living paired with financial responsibility sounds more boring than tacking all the good toys on credit and racking up multiple wives all at once, Utah style.
Quote: I don’t know, Waggy sounded pretty certain when he rang up the list of things bothering the person he’s never met. If he’s that certain about this stranger, it must be a pretty common result of life. Plus, healthy and fit living paired with financial responsibility sounds more boring than tacking all the good toys on credit and racking up multiple wives all at once, Utah style.
That sounds like wayyyy too much work.
12  18  19  20  21  22 
Page 22 of 22
Go to