If you could make a change???

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 10
Go to
Quote: Just fly the ODP. It’s not that hard and it’s there for a reason.

Over at GUC, the controllers WILL get onto you if you don’t fly the ODP. Remember, It’s not just about obstacle clearance, but also about being where the controller expects you be before you establish contact.
yes.. most conservative route can never be faulted.
however, it’s ironic that the ODP involves a right turn, to intercept a radial to MARKE... yet the single-engine procedure off 21 is straight out. So you’re saying if we lose an engine we can fly straight out but if we have 2 we have to do more work to avoid terrain??!?
Quote: From what I understand, talking to a few check airmen about the DRO thing, is that no one at the FAA wants to stick their neck on the line and answer that question for us. Apparently some of the check airmen having been asking our feds about this and they can’t get an answer.
I heard that Denver is confused because some of us do it and some DONT. Some fly all the way to MARKE some turn leaving 9000. Some consistency would be nice.
Quote: I heard that Denver is confused because some of us do it and some DONT. Some fly all the way to MARKE some turn leaving 9000. Some consistency would be nice.
When they release us for departure on the ground I just request a vfr climb on course. Then they approve it and everyone is on the same page.
Quote: Pattern altitude... yes, on a visual, pattern altitude should be set. However I’ve gone around at DFW on a clear day and they always assign 3000’ ... so it seems to make sense to do that.
No. It depends when you go around. Its either 3000, or "fly localizer inbound, climb and maintain 2000", or a turn, depending what departure they are using for a plane taking off. And some published missed procedures go to 4000.
Pattern altitude all day long. Or 2000.
Quote: The no handflying Rnav arrivals and departures. It promotes over-reliance on automation. The amount of times I’ve seen people fiddling around with the FCP on a sever clear day on the visual approach. Just disconnect it and go to the runway.

This is probably true on segments of the approach. However, GOM, Chapter 3 (Departure), Paragraph 14 “Manual Flight Operations” it specifically states, “RNAV departures and arrivals, RVSM, etc. must still be flown with the autopilot engaged.”
Quote: This is probably true on segments of the approach. However, GOM, Chapter 3 (Departure), Paragraph 14 “Manual Flight Operations” it specifically states, “RNAV departures and arrivals, RVSM, etc. must still be flown with the autopilot engaged.”
A visual approach is in absolutely no sense of the word an RNAV arrival. This isn’t “probably true” it 100% is.
I was ready for this to be another negotiating-in-public thread. Good job to all keeping it real.
Got line checked last week and apparently a few guys have been getting busted on CAMPA’s by not adding the intermediate fix between the final approach fix and the runway. When you load the approach in the box, the intermediate fix isn’t in there so you have to go to the legs page and manually enter the fix with the altitude between the FAF and the MAP. I personally don’t ever remember being taught that in the training dept or sims. Just a heads up fellas, that would be a terrible thing to miss and have to head back to Phoenix with a failed Line Check on your PRIA.
Also, I would love some clarification from the training department on having to run the QRH for an ICE caution message. I know it can be avoided in general by just turning it all on before you enter icing conditions, but I personally never run the QRH for it when it does happen because you’re operating a normal system. It seems like 50% of LCA’s are fine with that the other half want to see you reference the book because it’s a caution message.
Quote: A visual approach is in absolutely no sense of the word an RNAV arrival. This isn’t “probably true” it 100% is.
I was referring to the “no hand flying the RNAV arrival.”. but thank you. please make sure you emphasize no hand flying the RNAV departures, EVEN if it’s a heading departure. that was the real point i was trying to make. Thank you.
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 10
Go to