What will Buffet buy?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 5 of 6
Go to
Quote: If anyone thought that airlines were going to recover quickly, this should be your indication that they won't . Buffett probably sold for a loss.

50 percent loss since he bought those 13 million around 40 some
check it out
it was reported
I was surprised when he bought the stock, frankly. He bought most of it late in an economic cycle, in an industry where the magnitude of the cycle is 3-5 times the underlying economy. He also bought DAL, which like AAL and UAL, spent the vast majority of their free cash flow on stock buybacks, which he publicly derides companies for doing.

Dumbest thing I have ever seen him do. Maybe the only dumb thing.

If this shutdown lasts much longer, it will take 18-24 months for air travel to recover. Air travel never bounces right back. 1/3 of the population won't have money to travel, and another 20% (retirees) won't want to get on an airplane until they get vaccinated.
Quote: Dumbest thing I have ever seen him do. Maybe the only dumb thing.
You don't remember him buying a big chunk of USAir.
Quote: I was surprised when he bought the stock, frankly. He bought most of it late in an economic cycle, in an industry where the magnitude of the cycle is 3-5 times the underlying economy. He also bought DAL, which like AAL and UAL, spent the vast majority of their free cash flow on stock buybacks, which he publicly derides companies for doing.

If this shutdown lasts much longer, it will take 18-24 months for air travel to recover. Air travel never bounces right back. 1/3 of the population won't have money to travel, and another 20% (retirees) won't want to get on an airplane until they get vaccinated.
He publicly derides many things that make his companies money(derivatives for one). He has spent a lifetime cultivating his humble, folksy airs but he’s just as hypocritical and ruthless as any other ‘titan of industry.’

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway sells part of Delta, Southwest airline stakes

KEY POINTS
  • According to regulatory filings, Berkshire sold nearly 13 million Delta shares for about $314 million and roughly 2.3 million Southwest shares for about $74 million.
  • The sales were conducted on Wednesday and Thursday, the filings show.
  • Berkshire previously owned about 11.1% of Delta stock and 10.4% of Southwest stock, according to Refinitiv data. “
  • No reasons for the sales were given.
Don't think he is buying anything airline related anytime soon. He tends to pick companies he can make money on...
Quote: I was surprised when he bought the stock, frankly. He bought most of it late in an economic cycle, in an industry where the magnitude of the cycle is 3-5 times the underlying economy. He also bought DAL, which like AAL and UAL, spent the vast majority of their free cash flow on stock buybacks, which he publicly derides companies for doing.

Article from Forbes saying consensus is pax traffic not back to 2019 levels until 2023:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremyb.../#6daf1fe8fa37

Adam Pilarski, a consultant with Avitas who has warned for years that airlines were ordering too many planes during the boom times of the last decade, expects that airline traffic won’t return to 2019 levels until 2023, a forecast in line with many other observers.
Quote: Article from Forbes saying consensus is pax traffic not back to 2019 levels until 2023:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremyb.../#6daf1fe8fa37

Adam Pilarski, a consultant with Avitas who has warned for years that airlines were ordering too many planes during the boom times of the last decade, expects that airline traffic won’t return to 2019 levels until 2023, a forecast in line with many other observers.
Yeah they were drinking the Boeing koolaid. Their global growth projections were beyond naive and overly optimistic. They assumed no economic fallout at any point in time over the next 20 years.
Quote: Don't think he is buying anything airline related anytime soon. He tends to pick companies he can make money on...
Yes and dumping stock and locking in his losses are very telling of what his crystal ball is telling him, especially given the fact he’s probably the best person to ride this out.
Maybe time to start converting the 737 Max to freighters and other hulls that may not see use for a few years that are closer to their end life. Give $ back to the pax carriers and sell’m cheap to the cargo industry. Granted, the former NWA guys are probably screaming now is the time to bring cargo back. I know nothing, just spitballing.
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 5 of 6
Go to