Vacancy 22-04V

Subscribe
15  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 
Page 25 of 27
Go to
Quote: Great questions that I think should be explored as well. I seem to remember an ALPA pamphlet years ago re radiation exposure, but the issue died on the vine.
Pardon my ignorance ( it is blissfully enjoyable) but does one receive that same amount of radiation flying over the poles or high altitude at night as one might during the daylight hours?
Quote: Cute….but the issue is real. You have any knowledge in this area, or just sniping at what you perceive to be not a big deal?
No he’s referring to a crazy old captain that used to cover himself with napkins in flight to avoid the radiation. True story.
Quote: No he’s referring to a crazy old captain that used to cover himself with napkins in flight to avoid the radiation. True story.
you have to be joking. How could a guy like that not get psych evaled and medically grounded?
Quote: Pardon my ignorance ( it is blissfully enjoyable) but does one receive that same amount of radiation flying over the poles or high altitude at night as one might during the daylight hours?
as far as I know, night or day doesn’t make a difference. It’s cosmic radiation which happens both day and night the same. The closer to the poles, the higher you fly, and the longer the flight, the worse.
Quote: Pardon my ignorance ( it is blissfully enjoyable) but does one receive that same amount of radiation flying over the poles or high altitude at night as one might during the daylight hours?
do a google search about cosmic radiation. Lots of info available. Short version- flights nearer the poles and higher latitudes have higher exposure.
Quote: No he’s referring to a crazy old captain that used to cover himself with napkins in flight to avoid the radiation. True story.
Is that the mummy? I first heard that story 20 years ago, lol.
Quote: Completely concur with you. I'm a junior NB captain now. The WB flying is fantastic except for the backside of the clock. It was taking a incremental toll on me. I definitely felt chronically fatigued most of the time. I am sleeping through the night which is nice. The EWR trips leaving Europe were difficult on me. I was waking up at 0630 local time (0030 body clock) for a 0730 local time van to the airport. When I was flying out of IAD, I recall the trips leaving a couple hours later and that made a huge difference for me.

If and when the new Fifi aircraft show up, I am looking forward to a near-Europe / domestic mix of flying. I'm relatively new to the NB flying (did a short stint in '08 as a half-winger before I was furloughed) and so far...I'm enjoying the pace. I understand that some of this enjoyment is coming from flying a different aircraft and the feeling of almost being at a different company, but I am enjoying it nonetheless.

Bottom line is that the phrase "Different strokes for different folks" is very applicable. One is not better than the other. One is just a better "fit" for someone than the other.
This is why I love the 756 flying because you get the best of both worlds. I just fear that when they retire the fleet there goes the diversified awesome flying by one fleet.
here’s hoping Boeing gets off its collective arse and makes a 797 to replace the 756!
Quote: This is why I love the 756 flying because you get the best of both worlds. I just fear that when they retire the fleet there goes the diversified awesome flying by one fleet.
here’s hoping Boeing gets off its collective arse and makes a 797 to replace the 756!
I believe it will be called the A321 and is supposed to show up in 2023 or 2024.
Quote: This is why I love the 756 flying because you get the best of both worlds.!
Not in SFO!
Need a lead lined suit, gloves, and face mask. Problem solved.
15  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 
Page 25 of 27
Go to