Please adhere to jumpseat etiquette

Subscribe
11  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  31 
Page 21 of 38
Go to
Quote: This is not an opinion. It's a material fact. The space that a single JS sits in, at no time throughout a flight, intersects with the space needed for either pilots.
How's that work when I want to stand up and stretch for a minute during flight without leaving the flight deck?
I'm open to suggestions because I find the guppy seats very uncomfortable.
Quote: So….you are comfortable enough throwing the CA weight around to deny a viable jump seat….but not enough of a CA to use your voice and tell that dude to knock it off?
Thank you for your input. I will now be teaching jumpseat etiquette to all jumpseaters when it's supposed to be a sterile cockpit.
Quote: How's that work when I want to stand up and stretch for a minute during flight without leaving the flight deck?
I'm open to suggestions because I find the guppy seats very uncomfortable.
Oh. So you want that space for calisthenics. Does the FO block your yoga mat? Any more silly excuses?
Quote: Oh. So you want that space for calisthenics. Does the FO block your yoga mat? Any more silly excuses?
So rather than admit that this statement by you is wrong:

Quote: No. An opinion would be "I find it intrusive someone looking over my shoulder." The fact is, the 737 JS rider does not, at all, interfere with the space of the operating crew. Both seats have full range of movement and the JS is in space that is not used during a flight. That's not an opinion. That's how the flight deck is designed.
you chose to attempt a lame deflect.

Thank you for your inputs. I will give your thoughts the weight that they deserve.
Quote: So rather than admit that this statement by you is wrong:

you chose to attempt a lame deflect.

Thank you for your inputs. I will give your thoughts the weight that they deserve.
The only thing lame is claiming a JS is in the way in the event you need to stretch. In all the years I've been flying, I've seen someone do it a handful of times and only on legs longer than 3 hours. Claiming the JS is in the way of your likely once a flight, 2 minute stretch is no different than claiming the JS is in the way of where you store you crew meal tray after you're done with it. It's an absurd justification for denying a fellow pilot a more comfortable place to ride home. It has zero impact on the operation or safety or your general comfort.
For a 737...

Take the seat in the back, unless they offer or your buddy is working the flight.

It's only appropriate to ask to sit up there if you have unusual circumstances, tight connection to make your daughter's wedding or something.

Bigger cockpits it just depends, but I would really only ask on my own airline, more likely if I knew the crew. Sometimes they offer, that's different.
Quote: The only thing lame is claiming a JS is in the way in the event you need to stretch. In all the years I've been flying, I've seen someone do it a handful of times and only on legs longer than 3 hours. Claiming the JS is in the way of your likely once a flight, 2 minute stretch is no different than claiming the JS is in the way of where you store you crew meal tray after you're done with it. It's an absurd justification for denying a fellow pilot a more comfortable place to ride home. It has zero impact on the operation or safety or your general comfort.
I’ll add anyone that can stretch in the flight deck of a 737, regardless if the jumpseat is occupied or not, is petite enough to stretch while seated in the 737. I can’t stand up straight until I get into the galley/entry walkway, and I don’t have NBA height.
Man, this thread...
One of my oldest, closest friends is a UA 73 CA. Before my first j/s, he told me "remember, no one wants you up there", and that stuck with me. I keep my head down and my mouth shut unless I'm spoken to. Unless I just got off of work, I show up for the j/s looking like I'm going in front of a hiring committee full of double-breasted senior Delta captains. If there's a seat in the back, I always take it, even if it's 34B in between a morbidly obese person and a screaming baby. It sucks, and I'd actually prefer the j/s (so long as it's only the middle j/s on a 73 - i'd never take the one behind a CA) but I also just want to get to where I need to be. That said...

I've met some great guys while jumpseating. We trade contact information. We keep in touch. I learn from watching different crews on different equipment at different carriers. I personally enjoy it. I often take notes. I see things they do and think about implementing them into my practices, so long as it works with my job. I always let them know I appreciate the ride. Hell, I had a UA 75 CA on IOE with 2 LCPs in the cockpit. They were all great. At the end, I even told him I wouldn't have let me in there with everything he had going on, but they were all very gracious.

We all work hard and we all worked hard to get where we are now. Some of us have better gigs than others and sometimes we forget when it sucked for us. But, at the end of the day, we all just want to work when we have to work and go home when we can go home. I know for me, the courtesy is always appreciated. I've never been made to feel unwelcomed - except by one of my best friends - and I hope I don't ever make anyone feel unwelcomed. Except maybe my friend.
Quote: Before my first j/s, he told me "remember, no one wants you up there"
You've got pilots out there saying crap like this, yet Delta pilots are being told THEY'RE the jerks for not waving at every Southwest pilot they pass in the terminal.
Quote: For a 737...

Take the seat in the back, unless they offer or your buddy is working the flight.

It's only appropriate to ask to sit up there if you have unusual circumstances, tight connection to make your daughter's wedding or something.

Bigger cockpits it just depends, but I would really only ask on my own airline, more likely if I knew the crew. Sometimes they offer, that's different.
Now this is great airline ediquate. All we are asking here.
11  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  31 
Page 21 of 38
Go to