Nor’easter and commuting

Subscribe
7  8  9  10  11 
Page 11 of 11
Go to
Quote: When it comes to pilots, they like to shoot first and ask questions later. We’re different from most professions in that it’s easy to look like you’re skirting the rules, when in reality you’re not (e.g. the many pilots who legitimately live in Las Vegas and commute to LAX). Our profession also has tax rules and exceptions that other professions don’t, and not all state tax collectors are familiar with them.

I personally know of one pilot who was a legitimate commuter from another state, and had his wages garnished by the FTB until he was able to prove his innocence (a lengthy battle).
and for every one of those, there’s the other one with a condo in incline village who spends far less than half the year there but claims nevada residence. We are also a group who actually skirts the rules, often proudly.
Quote: and for every one of those, there’s the other one with a condo in incline village who spends far less than half the year there but claims nevada residence. We are also a group who actually skirts the rules, often proudly.
Ask any pilot living in Florida working as a instructor in the school house if they pay Georgia taxes? You will get a very funny look!
Quote: When it comes to pilots, they like to shoot first and ask questions later. We’re different from most professions in that it’s easy to look like you’re skirting the rules, when in reality you’re not (e.g. the many pilots who legitimately live in Las Vegas and commute to LAX). Our profession also has tax rules and exceptions that other professions don’t, and not all state tax collectors are familiar with them.

I personally know of one pilot who was a legitimate commuter from another state, and had his wages garnished by the FTB until he was able to prove his innocence (a lengthy battle).
Quote: and for every one of those, there’s the other one with a condo in incline village who spends far less than half the year there but claims nevada residence. We are also a group who actually skirts the rules, often proudly.
the fact that some people don’t adhere to the rules does not justify a state taking money from other people who do not owe it.
Quote: the fact that some people don’t adhere to the rules does not justify a state taking money from other people who do not owe it.
I bet the number of people who do not owe it is very small. All you have to do is send compelling documentation of your situation. I did when I commuted to CA and had zero issues.
Quote: I bet the number of people who do not owe it is very small. All you have to do is send compelling documentation of your situation. I did when I commuted to CA and had zero issues.
Commuting is far more common among airline pilots than tax evasion.

California is unique in that it doesn’t seek out evidence that a pilot is committing tax evasion before making demands.
Quote: I bet the number of people who do not owe it is very small. All you have to do is send compelling documentation of your situation. I did when I commuted to CA and had zero issues.
I was based at LAX and owned a home in SoCal. Paid all CA taxes. Sold my home and transferred to SLC. Built a new home in Utah. Had zero attachments at that point to CA. They sent me letters for five years hounding me for CA income tax. I responded each time with documentation on the sale of my home and transfer to SLC. When the amount they said I owed reached 6 figures I hired a attorney. He sent a letter with the same documents I sent and they finally quit!
Quote: Ask any pilot living in Florida working as a instructor in the school house if they pay Georgia taxes? You will get a very funny look!
This sounds familiar.
7  8  9  10  11 
Page 11 of 11
Go to