Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

Over 8 vs Over 10 pay...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B777 FO FDX, C130 ANG
Thumbs down Over 8 vs Over 10 pay...

Just heard a nasty rumor that the company is not going to implement the over 8 the same way the over 10 has been added to the total trip value.

From what another guy (in the know) was saying the company feels that the CBA language allows them to not include the over 8 block/Pay time into the tirp value and won't pay you until after you have actually flown the trip.

Basically it means that a trip worth say 67 hours today that may have 3 ten hour legs will still only show up as being worth 67 hours (Not including the new rig for simplicity). However when you actually fly the trip you will be compensated for the additional 6 hours then. The problem with this is that the trip is actually worth 73 hours, however do to the gamesmanship of the implementation you are likely to have another trip tacked on to your month where maybe you would just be happy flying the one trip for 73 hours. Now the company has you for another trip at straight time, and doesn't have to hire anyone to make up for the addition of more open trips because they are artificially keeping the trip values lower during the build.

Sure you'll end up making more money during the year (at straight time), but I'd rather have the additional days off and decide for myself if I want to fly more hopefully at draft pay.

Does anyone know anymore about this rumor?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

You mean kind of like how reserve at the new FDA's will be payed at normal rates WITHOUT the intl overide? You see you only get intl. overide when you actually FLY a trip.

So yeah...that sounds like the company.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by Flaps50 View Post
Just heard a nasty rumor that the company is not going to implement the over 8 the same way the over 10 has been added to the total trip value.

From what another guy (in the know) was saying the company feels that the CBA language allows them to not include the over 8 block/Pay time into the tirp value and won't pay you until after you have actually flown the trip.

Basically it means that a trip worth say 67 hours today that may have 3 ten hour legs will still only show up as being worth 67 hours (Not including the new rig for simplicity). However when you actually fly the trip you will be compensated for the additional 6 hours then. The problem with this is that the trip is actually worth 73 hours, however do to the gamesmanship of the implementation you are likely to have another trip tacked on to your month where maybe you would just be happy flying the one trip for 73 hours. Now the company has you for another trip at straight time, and doesn't have to hire anyone to make up for the addition of more open trips because they are artificially keeping the trip values lower during the build.

Sure you'll end up making more money during the year (at straight time), but I'd rather have the additional days off and decide for myself if I want to fly more hopefully at draft pay.

Does anyone know anymore about this rumor?
I believe your sources are correct, mostly. The block recapture will look something like this:

TAFB/3.75 PLUS all scheduled block over 10 hours. Then all hours between 8-10 will be paid AFTER the trip actually operates. If you have a trip that pays 70 hours on the 3.75 and have internal legs (over 8) of say 11,12 and 9 the trip would have a BLG of 73 hours. It would actually pay 5 hours more if flown as scheduled.

I agree that this is BS, but as far as I know it is the way they will be paying it ! When the Jan lines come out, start calling Contract Enforcement or your block rep. Better yet call now and try and get the issue on the table before Jan !
Old 11-26-2007, 05:07 AM
Part Time Employee

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Dispersing Green House Gasses on a Global Basis

I think this is the way they are doing it now- you don't get paid the time over 10 until you actually fly it.

Since "we are fat in every seat" all you need to do is look at the the pairing, figure out how much it is really worth and drop the filler trip . That way you get the extra days off and can build up your makeup bank, then when you make Capt on the 777 you can fly makeup at straight time and it will be like getting 150%
Old 11-26-2007, 05:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey
Question

What's the trip guarantee on these trips?

What if you call in sick or use vacation?

How much is taken from your banks?

Last edited by DLax85; 11-26-2007 at 05:30 AM. Reason: spelling - private ridicule from TwiceSkunkedDog
Old 11-26-2007, 05:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Looking at this from the other side, if you were to call in sick for that trip, before it operated, you'd only get charged for the 67 hours instead of the 73 hours. Regardless, it does point out that our NC needs to add this to the list of issues that will have to be addressed at next contract negotiations.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD-11 Captain

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
Looking at this from the other side, if you were to call in sick for that trip, before it operated, you'd only get charged for the 67 hours instead of the 73 hours. Regardless, it does point out that our NC needs to add this to the list of issues that will have to be addressed at next contract negotiations.
Next contract negotiations my a**. Fix it now! Where in our current contract does it say the company is allowed to do this!*?

Call/email your block reps/contract enforcement now!!!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2005
Position: A300 CA

Looks like a big plus for the company. Say your trip is CNX -- you're still on the hook for the full SUB window, but only get paid for the (lower) trip guarantee. Also, what if you're bumped for training? You're still getting shorted the pay you would have received had you flown the trip as scheduled. Definitely needs to be looked at.

Z
Old 11-26-2007, 05:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by zulu View Post
Looks like a big plus for the company. Say your trip is CNX -- you're still on the hook for the full SUB window, but only get paid for the (lower) trip guarantee. Also, what if you're bumped for training? You're still getting shorted the pay you would have received had you flown the trip as scheduled. Definitely needs to be looked at.

Z
Now add this : If the line spread is now 13 hours, you could have a guy flying domestic with min days off for 68 hours and a guy flying international with a 81 hour line that will actually pay say 85 with the block override. The true line split is 17 ! I am all for seniority, but this abrogates the 13 hour split which was way too much to begin with. ($230.00 * 17 = $3910.00 !!!)

We are also assuming they will have trips with legs over 8 that pay TAFB. There will certainly be some, but the axe is swinging over in CRS and you will see more block trips, that do not pay block override.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: MD-11/10 Captain

Originally Posted by MaydayMark View Post
Where in our current contract does it say the company is allowed to do this!*?
Ah, yes. The game the company plays. When it's some thing they DON"T want to do they say, "It's not in the contract". When it's something they DO want to do they say, "The contract doesn't prohibit it".

It's called having your cake and shoving it up the other guys wazzoo. Gosh, we work for swell people!