Need clarification on 30 hours in 7 day rule

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to
No one has answered the biggest mystery of all . . . How did the O.P. Get hired at a 121 Major without having a clue how to apply 30 in 7? Although, I suppose that's probably exactly what the airline was looking for. With all the mis-information on the first page, I seriously doubt those posters can wrap they're minds around lookback rest either. Are there any majors out their still trying to hire aviators?
And don't forget one other little 'gotcha' when you are trying to figure 30 in 7...

What TIME do you start/finish? A long time ago screw scheds hit me with two 4 day trips, with one day off between. Well, calander day wise, it was about 32 in 7, so I called them back (after doing the math) and said, "Hey, I'm not legal for that..."

And they said, "Yes you are, that last leg gets in late, and we use ZULU TIME to compute 30 in 7, so those last 4 hours are NOT COUNTED!"

I still wasn't convinced, so I called a Guard buddy of mine, who was also the New England Regional Director of the FAA at the time. I said, "Can they DO THAT? Use ZULU time??"

He said, "Yup, every company gets to chose if they are going to use one of 3 times for figuring 30 in 7, 1. Zulu, 2. Local base time zone (ie. your calander day) Or 3. An aribitrary time, ie. they could choose Central time instead of Eastern, or even West Coast, but they have to use that same time, all the time, for everyone, in every base."

Since Delta is run on East Coast time, they get a 'freebie' by using Zulu time, because as in my case above, they get to push all flying after 7/8pm into the next day, thus they escape a lot of domestic 30 in 7 problems when they cram two four day trips together, and the last leg(s) gets in after 7/8pm.
Quote: Legal to start, legal to finish.
The last day
Quote: No one has answered the biggest mystery of all . . . How did the O.P. Get hired at a 121 Major without having a clue how to apply 30 in 7? Although, I suppose that's probably exactly what the airline was looking for. With all the mis-information on the first page, I seriously doubt those posters can wrap they're minds around lookback rest either. Are there any majors out their still trying to hire aviators?
Squadron buddies....that's how.

Oh, and like it was said above.....HOLY NECROPOST, this thread should've died long, long ago.
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to