Logging Time

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 5 of 5
Go to
Quote: THREAD RESURRECTION

I have flown a Red Bird FTD a couple hours just to see what it was about. I am making sure it was logged correctly by the CFII giving me the required checkout. He logged it in my logbook as "Ground Trainer" which I am assuming translates to equal FTD time. He also did log it as TT which I was questioning but he was the Expert not me. Anyway I have read this thread some and I believe it says DONT log TT from the FTD training...? What about when it's for the instrument rating? 20 hours can be used toward it in sim so wouldn't this throw off the TT calculation equation?
Towards the rating it counts. You could do your CHECKRIDE in the sim if you wanted to. Yes you read that right. However no designee would ever agree to doing it that way.
Quote: Towards the rating it counts. You could do your CHECKRIDE in the sim if you wanted to. Yes you read that right. However no designee would ever agree to doing it that way.
Technically the Red Bird is an FTD, not a sim. You can complete SOME of the Instrument Check Ride in it, certain portions would still have to be competed in an aircraft. To log the time, the FTD also has to have an N-number, otherwise it's not approved.
Quote: Technically the Red Bird is an FTD, not a sim. You can complete SOME of the Instrument Check Ride in it, certain portions would still have to be competed in an aircraft. To log the time, the FTD also has to have an N-number, otherwise it's not approved.
Indeed it does have an N number. So it is ground trainer and TT logable..?
Quote: Indeed it does have an N number. So it is ground trainer and TT logable..?
Logable towards what?
Quote: Logable towards what?
Considering I'm not instrument rated yet can't it theoretically be that?
You can log time towards the instrument rating and thats it. It has to be a level c or d sim to log it as total time which an redbird sim is not.
Quote: Technically the Red Bird is an FTD, not a sim. You can complete SOME of the Instrument Check Ride in it, certain portions would still have to be competed in an aircraft. To log the time, the FTD also has to have an N-number, otherwise it's not approved.
It just depends on which level of Redbird we are considering I guess. I'm not sure what the differences are but I know the Redbird FMX I was referring to is considered a AATD. I know that when the instructor took my logbook he wrote 0.8 in TT so I guess I need the revision...
Quote: You can log time towards the instrument rating and thats it. It has to be a level c or d sim to log it as total time which an redbird sim is not.
I believe the Redbird FMX is that level..? I need to look obviously to be sure. It is a FAA certified AATD..
Quote: I believe the Redbird FMX is that level..? I need to look obviously to be sure. It is a FAA certified AATD..
I would make sure. I thought the redbird was just a pinball. The level D sims im referring to are with simuflite and flight safety. Once you get there you can log 100 hours toward the atp. You CAN log the sim time towards the instrument. I logged an elite simulator that was a step above fsx and a joystick. I just dont think you can log it as total time.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 5 of 5
Go to