Zoom Climbs

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Quote: On my IOE in the 747-400, I had to do a max-power takeoff (part of the checkout).

I know what you're talking about! I did a ferry flight from SFO to OAK when the -400 MOC was over there. I took off under 400K, no fuel and no pax. That 4 MMF can get going, and with a short flight across the bay I was completely out of my element. I didn't even have time to figure the breaks.

I frequently see 3000 fpm + in the 777 fully loaded climbing through FL300, and that's on profile. Man Boeing builds a good wing.
Quote: An empty plane used to be an invitation to let it go. No longer. Too many studies have caught the attention of everyone after showing that lots of non-standard stuff goes on with an empty airplane. With FOQA and other FDR monitoring programs, the concepts is "There is never an empty airplane. There is always SOMEONE on board."
I've never heard of FOQA till this thread. Just read up a little on it on the web. I guess its an electronic means of keeping a leash on the cockpit crew? Anything to do with that RJ crash awhile ago where the crew tried to take it too high? The site that I was reading said that there are only a few US airlines that are currently making use of FOQA.

Quote:
Now, in the past, yes. My old copilot flew with AA and one night they ferried a 767 out of ORD to DFW with only fuel to destination plus reserves. Brake release to FL410 in less than 8 minutes....unrestricted climb. Not bad for a fat dog.

Long time ago when flying the early Lears (23,24,25) we used to ask the pax if they wanted transportation or an airplane ride. If the latter, we would let it go. The real fun was to see how close we could get to destination and pull the throttles to idle and not touch them again for landing and roll out.
Now thats the stuff I'm talking about. There are some pretty amazing videos on youtube of various large transports, mostly airbus demos, as it were, doing some very impressive steep climbouts. Even the A380 gets some action! YouTube - A380 Chile Fidae 2008 radical takeoff
Quote:
Im talking more like a fast rotation
This has stalled CRJ's. Don't do it...if you get an asymetric stall, you will rollover, nose in, and die. Three degrees/sec.

Quote: with a steep climbout, leveling off quickly for a little air time.
Airliners aren't designed for negative G's. You will have all kinds of potential systems malfunctions, which will be hard to explain.

If you fly max allowed profile in an empty airplane, you will still have plenty of legal fun.
YouTube - OD08 KDC-10 Low runway flyby & straight up take off

In the -10 she really gets up and goes. At training weights at around 320K or so she leaps like a homesick angel. Routinely have to limit the pitch to 20 degrees..she would keep on going if she was allowed..impressive!
Quote: YouTube - OD08 KDC-10 Low runway flyby & straight up take off

In the -10 she really gets up and goes. At training weights at around 320K or so she leaps like a homesick angel. Routinely have to limit the pitch to 20 degrees..she would keep on going if she was allowed..impressive!
That's sweet, nice control on the slow pass and transition!
Quote: What is your definition of "hot dog a little"?

USMCFLYR
A Vienna Sausage

File:Vienna sausage tasty.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hi!

I have been flying the DC-9 lately. The -9-10s, the small ones, have a pretty good thrust-to-weight ratio when they're light.

We have a card for the TO numbers. It gives us a two-engine rotation pitch target (and a single-engine one, too). So, we rotate to the pitch target, and ensure we don't get too slow. The pitch may be greater than 25 degrees in some cases!

Pretty good rate of climb, but NOWHERE near that of a lightweight KC-135R. That was CRAZY!!! I saw one at an airshow: It did a high-spped pass, and then rotated to 70 degrees nose up, and held that pitch up to 15,000 feet.

cliff
GRB
I used to think that the 1900 was a hot rod when empty. We would have many empty legs and always like to break the monotony by performing perfectly legal maneuvers on takeoff (Pitching to the chevrons). With these newfangled jets these days it is hard to hotdog because they perform so well with normal power and maneuvers. As I get older I find myself just pulling the power back after takeoff to keep the ride smooth and climb rate under control. When the X is light, it is a homesick angel but I heard the Lear 60 climbs like a raped ape!
Quote: I used to think that the 1900 was a hot rod when empty. We would have many empty legs and always like to break the monotony by performing perfectly legal maneuvers on takeoff (Pitching to the chevrons). With these newfangled jets these days it is hard to hotdog because they perform so well with normal power and maneuvers. As I get older I find myself just pulling the power back after takeoff to keep the ride smooth and climb rate under control. When the X is light, it is a homesick angel but I heard the Lear 60 climbs like a raped ape!
A friend of mine that flies the X says that he has held 5-6k fpm up through 10k' a few times. A L60 pilot told me that he hit the FL40+ in 14 minutes.

USMCFLYR
Anything Turbine that is light is fun.... take for instance a Hawker MTOW28000, Taking off at somewhere around 16500 .... my best is brake release to 15K 1:47 seconds....
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to