Usaa

Subscribe
17  23  24  25  26  27  28 
Page 27 of 28
Go to
Thought about USAA changing its client demographics. As we all have seen on this thread, USAA has expanded its services first from officers, then NCOs, and then family members and just about everyone else. Could it be that most military members live in higher risk areas that are subject to more severe weather, and that the company is trying to spread out its risk more evenly? Just take a look at the number of bases in FL, then there's tornado alley in TX and OK, and bases running all the way up the east coast that are subject to both hurricanes and blizzards/ice storms.
Quote: Thought about USAA changing its client demographics. As we all have seen on this thread, USAA has expanded its services first from officers, then NCOs, and then family members and just about everyone else. Could it be that most military members live in higher risk areas that are subject to more severe weather, and that the company is trying to spread out its risk more evenly? Just take a look at the number of bases in FL, then there's tornado alley in TX and OK, and bases running all the way up the east coast that are subject to both hurricanes and blizzards/ice storms.
I would doubt that is much of a player. I would bet that 75% of USAA's subscriber base is not on active duty. Of course the insurance people all measure risk and what you mention must be taken into account. I think their rates are high for other reasons. Chiefly, spreading the cost of a risker subscriber base when the gates were opened. (A 25yr USAA employee confirmed that for me when I was called after witnessing a wreck. I mentioned that I was a former USAA member and we got to talking.)
Quote: Of course the insurance people all measure risk and what you mention must be taken into account. I think their rates are high for other reasons. Chiefly, spreading the cost of a risker subscriber base when the gates were opened.
Well, when they changed from officers and even officers & top-3 to all the 18-24 year olds, the risk pool changed dramatically. Now it's wide open if your dog was in the military, so the risk is all over the place...
I added a third car to my USAA policy. My monthly rate went from $131 to $181. Ouch! Switched to Geico and got the same policy for $139. Will probably start shopping to change my homeowners insurance, any suggestions?
Quote: I added a third car to my USAA policy. My monthly rate went from $131 to $181. Ouch! Switched to Geico and got the same policy for $139. Will probably start shopping to change my homeowners insurance, any suggestions?
I was happy with Liberty Mutual in my area - and I bundled with them at a better rate than USAA, but it seems that shopping around every couple of years keeps the rate hikes in check.
Has anyone done USAA life insurance? A couple of retiring dudes here signed up with them. Thoughts, feelings, emotions?
Quote: I added a third car to my USAA policy. My monthly rate went from $131 to $181. Ouch! Switched to Geico and got the same policy for $139. Will probably start shopping to change my homeowners insurance, any suggestions?
If you're happy with Geico, why not use them for your homeowners too. That way, they can give you a multi-policy discount, thereby lowering both your car as well as your home insurance bills.
John 3,

I purchased a 30 yr term with an option to add coverage to replace the SGLI when I retire. No issues, and the add-on doesn't require an additional physical, just a premium adjustment. It is a better option than the VGLI, but I am sure there are other companies out there with equivalent policies.
The saga continues--I just replaced my USAA renter's insurance after consecutive yearly rate hikes of 105% and 73%. The lady I cancelled with gave me the standard "Yes, I see there have been some rate increases in your state." Only two homeowner's policies left to get rid of before I'm completely done with USAA.
I was a member of USAA since 1993, the day I was commissioned I swapped my insurance to USAA. I quit months ago for a number of reasons.

1. Incompetent handling of jewelry rider. Took months to get paid, even after they claimed to have sent a check which was never really sent.

2. Customer service that has been going downhill for years. Level 1 service who can't answer simple questions about my policy which cost me hundreds of dollars due to double-insuring a rental vehicle. Even worse was getting a verbal agreement to fix this problem, and then being forced to badger them for >6 months to get paid.

3. Treating me like I was trying to commit insurance fraud when my son lowered a rental home's garage door on my truck. Really? I'm an effing Lt Col, not a meth head. I'm not going to commit insurance fraud for $700.

4. More expensive than the competition.

5. They mistakenly cancelled my home owners policy. I paid escrow for an entire year and when I got my statement at the end of the year there was a LOT more money in the account than expected. Turns out USAA issued my home owners policy the day I closed on the house, and cancelled it the next day without notice. I went an entire year on a $400k home with no effing insurance. YGBSM. This bit of incompetence was the straw that broke the camel's back. I now have All State and I pay about $1500 less per year for identical coverage minus windshield protection.
17  23  24  25  26  27  28 
Page 27 of 28
Go to