Front end Deviation FDX

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
What is the current status on canceling part of a front end DH? Specifically, the pairing dh's to SFO, lays over 24 hrs then dh's to HKG. If you js to SFO, can you keep the second dh as scheduled, and if so, can you perform your final dev check in in sfo, keep your sched gnd trans in sfo and hkg, and be protected from then on to hkg?

I've read the contract, but would like some 1st hand experience. Thanks.....
Quote: What is the current status on canceling part of a front end DH? Specifically, the pairing dh's to SFO, lays over 24 hrs then dh's to HKG. If you js to SFO, can you keep the second dh as scheduled, and if so, can you perform your final dev check in in sfo, keep your sched gnd trans in sfo and hkg, and be protected from then on to hkg?

I've read the contract, but would like some 1st hand experience. Thanks.....
1) You cannot accomplish final check in in SFO, look at your initial check in form on VIPS, it will say within 100 NM of HKG.

2) You can get to SFO however you like, but once you deviate on leg 1, you are responsible for booking the ticket (on the scheduled flight from SFO-HKG). Book the ticket before you deviate.

3) do not select leg 2 to deviate and the GT may still be waiting on the scheduled leg. It has worked for me, since they give you the option to check deviation by leg.

4) if you arrive in SFO in time to catch the scheduled leg, you are "kind of" protected, it is currently an unwritten rule from the JL era that you should be afforded the rights and protections of being on the scheduled pairing at that point. If something goes awry, scheduling may be more help than "you deviated, call us from XXX!).
On a different but related subject ...

A few months back, I had a back end deadhead, Middle East - AMS - MEM. I deviated (in VIPS) on the AMS-MEM leg and instead booked myself AMS - Home. I was VERY DISTRESSED when I showed up for my Middle East - AMS leg and found out it had been canceled (and was now sold out!).

If that is, in fact, now the "new" policy ... I didn't realize that.
Quote: 2) You can get to SFO however you like, but once you deviate on leg 1, you are responsible for booking the ticket (on the scheduled flight from SFO-HKG). Book the ticket before you deviate.

3) do not select leg 2 to deviate and the GT may still be waiting on the scheduled leg. It has worked for me, since they give you the option to check deviation by leg.

4) if you arrive in SFO in time to catch the scheduled leg, you are "kind of" protected, it is currently an unwritten rule from the JL era that you should be afforded the rights and protections of being on the scheduled pairing at that point. If something goes awry, scheduling may be more help than "you deviated, call us from XXX!).
1) Is this still the case on front-end deviations? Has anyone done it recently?

DH MEM-DFW, layover, DH DFW-NRT: will VIPS let you just cnx the MEM-DFW leg and you take the scheduled DH at DFW for DFW-NRT (book DFW-NRT before deviating on the 1st leg)?

2) If the front-end DHs are just a connection DH MEM-ATL, DH ATL-CDG can you do the same thing or is it all cnxed once you deviate? Is there anyway to do a partial deviation on this?

Partial deviation thread
Get on the phone with global travel and make sure the fare for the int'll leg. Is the same as accepted fare on your pairing. Then have them book the same flight and then deviate.
I take it that your layover hotel in DFW or in my case SFO is also canceled and must be paid for out of dev bank?
Quote: On a different but related subject ...

A few months back, I had a back end deadhead, Middle East - AMS - MEM. I deviated (in VIPS) on the AMS-MEM leg and instead booked myself AMS - Home. I was VERY DISTRESSED when I showed up for my Middle East - AMS leg and found out it had been canceled (and was now sold out!).

If that is, in fact, now the "new" policy ... I didn't realize that.
Mark,
Not trying to be a smart @ss but when you deviate one of these in VIPS, a big warning message pops up stating what happened to you will happen. It's been that way since at least summer 2008 (when I did it, saw the warning and thought better of it). Actually, I think this might have started with the introduction of the Fox expense system - but that's just a guess.
Quote: Mark,
Not trying to be a smart @ss but when you deviate one of these in VIPS, a big warning message pops up stating what happened to you will happen. It's been that way since at least summer 2008 (when I did it, saw the warning and thought better of it). Actually, I think this might have started with the introduction of the Fox expense system - but that's just a guess.

Thanks for your timely reply to my year old posting ...
Quote: Thanks for your timely reply to my year old posting ...
Details, details. Obviously I only notice stuff like that if it has a big pop up warning..........
Quote: I take it that your layover hotel in DFW or in my case SFO is also canceled and must be paid for out of dev bank?
No layover hotel is not cancelled as long as you only select to deviate on the first leg in VIPS.
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to