Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Hangar Talk
Windows to Apple - who's done it? >

Windows to Apple - who's done it?

Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Windows to Apple - who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM
APC co-founder

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B777
Default Windows to Apple - who's done it?

Not looking to incite a Ford vs. Chevy, Red vs. Blue, or a Apple vs. Cherry pie debate (cherry is better). But, who here has made the change from Windows to Mac? If so how recently?

As you might guess, I've had enough of Windows-based hardware, and Dell specifically. I'm looking to change platforms, but my biggest issue is a rather expensive licensed software library. I know I can do a cross-platform exchange with Adobe, but for other titles, how well does an Apple do Windows?

If you've made the swap, would you do it again? What were the pitfalls (besides the higher cost of hardware)? What was the best thing?

All I know is I'm SO done with Dell. But to Dell's credit, they are an extremely effective marketing tool for Apple.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

I made the leap a few years ago with much hesitation over the same issues. Glad I did, I'll never own anything again with Microsoft anything. The only program I need Windows to run is logbook pro, so I installed VMware Fusion. Allows you to run Windows in it's own window. I use an old version of XP in it. Sadly my Apple runs Windows better an any Dell or HP I've owned.

Granted there are some generic computer makers that can build a laptop/desktop for 300-500 bucks that probably work "fine" but my Apples are worth every cent. I have a 4 year old macbook that runs like the day I bought it.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006

You will never look back. I used to be an avid PC hobbyist and used to build PC's as a hobby, but I got fed up with the Windoze OS. Even with my frustration at a boiling point, it was a big step to go out and buy a Mac. I have NEVER regretted the switch. You will have a 10 minute learning curve. That's it. Apple designed their OS and their hardware so that the average customer could pick it up and just use it, with little or no grief. I just wish I could get back the MONTHS of my life wasted tinkering, reinstalling, rebooting, and just gnashing my teeth in general.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

I know quite a few who in the last year have made the switch from Dell to apple - under the encouragement of one of those 'apple is better' believers. Most are very happy with the swicth (they sound like Grumble there), though some have had particular problems too. One has a constant problem with the Mac dropping the wireless signal and then having great difficulty reacquiring it, while the Dell sitting next to it has had no trouble at all.
Right now I'm getting to do a nice comparison because I spend half my time on a PC and the other half on a Mac and I still haven't come to a consensus.
I do enjoy the iPhone though EXCEPT for the call quality. Lucky for me I do more texting and checking e-mail than anything else!

USMCFLYR
Old 11-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Part of the problem with PC vulnerability to malicious attack is simply the larger number of users. I don't have the stats but most people use PCs, so the best way to wreak havoc on the most people as a hacker is to write hacks for PCs. An expert on malicious code once said you can write harmful code for a Mac, but why bother. That of course does not mean a crashed windows PC now works because it is among the majority and the vulnerability difference is actually a pretty good reason to switch to a Mac. I am just making the point that as far as harmful code is concerned there is no magic about Macs they are just as susceptible as PCs to attack. I will stick up for PCs in-as-much as I have been using them for the last decade with only minor trouble. I had to reload windows xp on my present machine a few weeks ago after it crashed from an attack that got around McAfee somehow. It worked fine for 4 years before that and reloading windows fixed it. I would say dump McAfee if you want to dump something.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 11-04-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Half of your problem is Dell. There are variety of smaller PC and Notebook builders who will provide a good product without getting their hooks into you like dell.

Also use XP or Windows-7, not Vista.

My problem with Mac is that the "real world" is not quite there yet. Between airline and military systems which I need to access, Mac is a non-starter. If UAL supports Mac for crew applications, then you can probably do it. SKW has not always given mac access the same priority as windows.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Part of the problem with PC vulnerability to to malicious code is simply due to their prevalence among users. I don't have the numbers handy, but most computer users own PCs which is why the best way to wreak havoc as a malicious code writer is to write stuff for PCs. An expert on malicious code said you can also write harmful code for Macs but why bother. That of course does not mean your troublesome PC now works simply because it is among a larger number of users, quite the opposite and not a bad reason to switch. I am just making the point that as far as virsus and that srt of thing, there is no magic about Macs and they are just as susceptible in theory. I will stick up for PCs inasmuch as I have been using them for the last decade and the only trouble I had with them was due to bad code getting into them. I reloaded windows xp on my present machine, a Dell xps 400, after it crashed from malicious code infections. It has been working fine. Before that it worked fine for 4 years straight, day in and day out. I would say dump McAfee is you want to dump something, but that is just my take on it.
Last week I heard the argument to dump Norton too.
Is there anything out there that actually works?
I'm going on 5 years with my Dell and except for someone letting it get infected once (and I had to do that restart that puts it back in factory condition - I forget the name), it has always worked fine.
It is good now that you can run Windows though on an Apple product. I might make anohter switch and buy a second Mac sometime in the future. I'm not a hard core believer in either product.

USMCFLYR
Old 11-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Symantec/Norton works pretty well. That's what the DoD uses.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Well even the Pentagon gets hacked occasionally so I do not think there is anything that is 100% safe. They even have morphing viruses these days that can mutate at will. You have to do your best using all the tricks to avoid infections. Go to safe websites, don't put your key drive in places it should not go, be careful about keeping firewalls on and antivirus software updated, do scans frequently, and so forth. I am using AVG Free right now and so far so good. I have subscribed to both McAfee and Norton and I am doubtful they are worth the money although Norton was the better of the two.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Tiki bar

I just made the switch a few months ago and I wish I had done it sooner. I love my Mac. I still run Windows 7 via a program called Parallels on my Mac. It allows me to still run all my old software that I need to carry over.

The Mac is superior in so many ways, not to mention it's so much more intuitive. Good luck in your quest, you won't regret making the change.