Air France, Comair, fender bender

Subscribe
3  4  5  6  7 
Page 7 of 7
Go to
This is a stretch, and I've ingested a few on my days off:

So, the A380 "Super"has met it's 'Crj-ptonite'.

I'm glad everyone is Ok.
Quote: Mechanic told me that there were 2 Capts up front. The one doing the driving was new on the A380, just getting checked out, and a check airman in the right seat!
Now that I am thinking about it, can you taxi the A380 from both sides? I wonder if the right seater was "steering."

I've been on the jumpseat of a couple of 747-200's and -400's and seem to remember that both guys could steer if need be (e.g. sharp right turn, the FO has a tiller). Anyone? Freight dogs?
Quote: Now that I am thinking about it, can you taxi the A380 from both sides? I wonder if the right seater was "steering."

I've been on the jumpseat of a couple of 747-200's and -400's and seem to remember that both guys could steer if need be (e.g. sharp right turn, the FO has a tiller). Anyone? Freight dogs?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here...

The Captain of an A380 can effectively taxi the airplane at all times.
Quote: I'm gonna go out on a limb here...

The Captain of an A380 can effectively taxi the airplane at all times.

But that wasn't my question... better luck next time and thanks for playing

I was alluding to the possibility of the Captain attending to something inside the cockpit and allowing the FO to "keep it going straight." This does happen from time to time. But if he's got a tiller, well then heck, why not just taxi it all the way to the runway. Plus, as someone mentioned earlier, there were two captains on board, so definitely a possibility.
Quote: Now that I am thinking about it, can you taxi the A380 from both sides?
Decided I didn't want to wait for someone to do it, so I decided to answer my own question: Yes, the FO has a tiller. See the following:

Photos: Airbus A380-861 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net
Photos: Airbus A380-841 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Quote: I was alluding to the possibility of the Captain attending to something inside the cockpit and allowing the FO to "keep it going straight." This does happen from time to time. But if he's got a tiller, well then heck, why not just taxi it all the way to the runway. Plus, as someone mentioned earlier, there were two captains on board, so definitely a possibility.

Those are some odd straws you're grasping for...
The obvious solution here is to sue an AF mechanic...
3  4  5  6  7 
Page 7 of 7
Go to