Emirates - the real story

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  13 
Page 3 of 31
Go to
Quote: I've heard (but can't find the reg on line) that the UAE version of OSHA won't allow outside work when the temperature hits 50c. But since the construction work can't be stopped, the solution is to just not report temperatures above 49. I've seen some un-official summer temps of 52-53 mid day in the city.
This is off topic, but yes, you are exactly right. I used to live in Qatar, and I can confirm from first hand experience that this is what they do in the Gulf states. The newspaper would report the official temperature of 49 degrees C, but all other sources indicated the temperature was going up to about 53 degrees C in mid summer. The reason, as you say, is because by law when the temperature hits 50 degrees, all trade has to stop - shops and restaurants would have to close, all the construction work etc stops.
Can anyone tell me about how much it costs to play a round of golf in Dubai. Just a ball park I know seasons and courses differ. Thx
Anywhere from $27.50 to over $200 depending on the course, day, and time of year.

Summer deals are the best for obvious reasons.

TP
Quote: Anywhere from $27.50 to over $200 depending on the course, day, and time of year.

Summer deals are the best for obvious reasons.

TP
Do folks typically take the company provided housing or do they opt out? What are the condos like? Downtown? Nice? Alot around night life wise? Any info really would be great.
Quote: Can anyone tell me about how much it costs to play a round of golf in Dubai. Just a ball park I know seasons and courses differ. Thx
Dubai Creek was about $185 for a group rate with clubs and a cart IIRC.
Quote: Do folks typically take the company provided housing or do they opt out? What are the condos like? Downtown? Nice? Alot around night life wise? Any info really would be great.

There are lots of different style of apartments and villas. Just as there are many different locations. You can find really nice apartments in many different locations. They are all pretty much high rise style, with some exceptions.

Lots of night life.

TP
Quote: Dubai Creek was about $185 for a group rate with clubs and a cart IIRC.

I've played the creek a couple of times in the summer. It was less than $100, but I live here so can get better deals.

When I joined Emirates there was a deal at Nad Al Sheba. It was $680/year for unlimited play on weekdays. Three years later it had gone up to $1086/year. Then they closed the course to re-do the race track. There are still some great deals in the summer. If you play a lot then you could always join one of the clubs full time, but the EPC gets some good deals.

The best deal right now is at Sharjah Golf Club, 18 holes for $27.50. In the summer the Els Club has been giving good deals. I believe the EPC are working on a deal at Al Badia which should come out soon.

TP
plenty of good golf around as tp said. also we play overseas as well....epc stocks some hotels with clubs.

plus in the summer they stock your cart with water/ice/towels...go early, not so bad. and cheap, relatively speaking to the usa
Thx to all the golf responses. I figured it was cheaper in the summer. I have played out in PHX and the same holds true out there, just not as humid.

One other Question. Who runs the EPC. Is it pilots or a separate entity. It sounds like it is wewll run and very helpful.
Thx again
I've been around the world and never been anywhere as hot and humid as Dubai, it's absolutely miserable for 9 1/2 months of the year. There are other good points, climate just isn't one of them.

It is nice for 2 1/2 months in he winter though.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  13 
Page 3 of 31
Go to