Colgan and Part 117

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
I may have missed it, but where in Part 117 does it prevent another Colgan-like fatigued crew?
I may have missed it, but when did Colgan become a cargo airline?
Quote: I may have missed it, but when did Colgan become a cargo airline?
Cargo airlines are not exempt from Colgan-like fatigue...

But to partially answer my question, isn't there something in Part 117 requiring one to certify before flight ones fitness? If so, seems that the FAA (and maybe even the company) could take action if that certification was suspect.
Quote: I may have missed it, but when did Colgan become a cargo airline?
This is the dirty little secret that no one wants to talk about. If pilots are truly interested in safety, they would not be exceeding duty limits (if you consider their commute).
Quote: isn't there something in Part 117 requiring one to certify before flight ones fitness? If so, seems that the FAA (and maybe even the company) could take action if that certification was suspect.
It's too expensive for us to be properly rested, per the FAA and DOT.

The FAA is playing roulette. Passengers face the biggest threat from tired Pax pilots. Lower odds of failure, they suppose, from cargo pilots.
Quote: This is the dirty little secret that no one wants to talk about. If pilots are truly interested in safety, they would not be exceeding duty limits (if you consider their commute).
No. The dirty little secret is the FAA is too corrupt to actually make shoddy regionals like Colgan and Gulfstream fire a pilot who failed 7 checkrides throughout his history. They refuse to enforce respectable training just because better qualified pilots don't want to work under the crappy pay and conditions provided by regionals. When a regional flying 70 seat turboprops in the Northeast requires nothing more then a paper commercial certificate with ink that hasn't even dried yet, something is wrong.
Quote: They (pilots) would not be exceeding duty limits (if you consider their commute).
strong words. Think that assertion will hold up in court?
Quote: No. The dirty little secret is the FAA is too corrupt to actually make shoddy regionals like Colgan and Gulfstream fire a pilot who failed 7 checkrides throughout his history. They refuse to enforce respectable training just because better qualified pilots don't want to work under the crappy pay and conditions provided by regionals. When a regional flying 70 seat turboprops in the Northeast requires nothing more then a paper commercial certificate with ink that hasn't even dried yet, something is wrong.
It isn't the FAA's job to fire the pilots - it is the company's responsibility.
If you meant that the standards might ought to be raised then you might be right.

USMCFLYR
Quote: It isn't the FAA's job to fire the pilots - it is the company's responsibility.
If you meant that the standards might ought to be raised then you might be right.

USMCFLYR
No. It's not the FAA's job to fire pilots. But it is the FAA's job to monitor training programs and standards. So yes, I was speaking of standards.
The media made a big deal about the Colgan families being behind the rest rules. Are the media and those families aware that the new rules have done nothing that require pilots to be properly rested after their commute? Just sayin'...
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to