Please critique my aircraft mechanic shirts

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to
Do something from the Black Sheep TV show... IIRC, Pappy needed the fat mechanic guy than vice versa....
mx shirts
A nice change from the Harley Davidson biker jackets most of mx used to wear. Nice designs.
Guys, I have to say if you showed up in my shop in one of those shirts I would not hire you.

Aircraft mechanics are the only federally certificated trade. We are PROFESSIONALS. If you want respect (and the money that goes with it) you dress the part.

If you want to dress like a low-paid garage monkey with a dirty rag hanging from your pocket, don't complain when you're treated like one.

Dress the part, learn everything you can, and don't work cheap. Don't give away your time on weekends. You're killing the profession that way. Charge real money for real services, you'd be surprised how well customers treat you once they view you at their level.

Most airplane owners are better off than the average guy, and expect to pay well for quality maintenance. Quality maintenance does NOT come dressed in a t-shirt. Polo shirts or other appropriate work wear are important for your image. The better you appear (and perform), the more you can charge.
Quote: Guys, I have to say if you showed up in my shop in one of those shirts I would not hire you.

Aircraft mechanics are the only federally certificated trade. We are PROFESSIONALS. If you want respect (and the money that goes with it) you dress the part.

If you want to dress like a low-paid garage monkey with a dirty rag hanging from your pocket, don't complain when you're treated like one.

Dress the part, learn everything you can, and don't work cheap. Don't give away your time on weekends. You're killing the profession that way. Charge real money for real services, you'd be surprised how well customers treat you once they view you at their level.

Most airplane owners are better off than the average guy, and expect to pay well for quality maintenance. Quality maintenance does NOT come dressed in a t-shirt. Polo shirts or other appropriate work wear are important for your image. The better you appear (and perform), the more you can charge.
Really?

Get over yourself. The guy is not selling T-Shirts for job interviews or as a work uniform.

I like em'
Quote: Really?

Get over yourself. The guy is not selling T-Shirts for job interviews or as a work uniform.

Well, you might want to read a little more. These shirts are promoted to be WORN while you are "wrenching on aircraft".

And I quote from his website:
"Aircraft Mechanic Shirts.com was founded on a simple principle. Make kick-ass shirts you can be proud to wear. Wrenching on aircraft can be a thankless job but that’s no excuse to wear lame shirts. Thanks to our loyal fans, we’ve grown a lot in the first year of operation. This allows us the privilege to keep creating new products showcasing the real heroes of aviation, the Knucklebusters!"

I stand by my post. Dress like a grease monkey, get treated like one. These aren't even classy shirts, they are rags with printing on them.

Other than rock stars, how many Professionals wear printed t-shirts to work?
Your quote from the website does not specify that the shirts should be worn while on the job. The shirts are very cool and meant for guys that are proud of their profession. Professionalism is about showing up on time, doing the best job you can do, caring about the results, challenging yourself to improve, being a team player, etc.

By the way pilots, and even flight attendants are also federally certificated
Quote: By the way pilots, and even flight attendants are also federally certificated
As are dispatchers (and Railroad Conductors if we include other transport).
Quote: As are dispatchers (and Railroad Conductors if we include other transport).
But they are not tradesman, as are MECHANICS. They have a different certification basis. A tradesman is distinctly different from other professionals mentioned. A&P's are the first and ONLY federally certificated maintenance technicians. Not truck mechanics, not railroad mechanics, not boat mechanics, not motorcycle mechanics, not air conditioning mechanics, etc. The list goes on.

No other trade rises to the scrutiny of an aircraft mechanic. That's why the industry is declining, because once young people find out they are personally responsible for their work, most of them go into other, similar trades with less regulation and no responsibility.

Pride in your work is important. Show your pride by dressing the part. Make more money, get more respect. It's not hard. I've been doing it for three decades and my wait list is months long. And I don't wear t-shirts....

My technicians would wear polo shirts, keep immaculate tool boxes, and get paid like the guys working at the Ferrari dealer, who also, by the way, do not wear t-shirts.
I walked into a small airport in the dfw area and saw a guy in a polo. I have no opinion one way or the other about the argument of this thread. Just an observation i made.
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to