GI Bill for Type Rating

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to
I was wondering if anyone has used the Post-9/11 GI Bill to get a type rating? I am currently using it to get my master's also. I'm in need of an ATP checkride and I figured if I could use the GI Bill on flight training, why not get an ATP along with a type rating. I'm thinking about either a lear 45 type or a hawker 800/900. Any info would help.

Thanks!
I know the folks who have used it for 737 type ratings have been charged 9-10 months of benefits with the post 9/11 GI Bill.
Quote: I know the folks who have used it for 737 type ratings have been charged 9-10 months of benefits with the post 9/11 GI Bill.
This is correct.
Quote: I know the folks who have used it for 737 type ratings have been charged 9-10 months of benefits with the post 9/11 GI Bill.
Yikes, what a waste of benefits....
Yeah, that seems a little steep in terms of using benefits for it. Just cheaper I guess to go grab an archer or something for a quick checkride. Thanks all
I think the 9 - 10 month math is a little fuzzy, too. If benefits top out at $17K for an academic year (which is 9 months), then shouldn't an $8K type rating only cost you 4.5 months or so? Not sure how they justify 9 or 10 months of benefits for that.
Tanker, where are you located? If you want to travel to the Boston area, I know of a pain free 1 day, 1 flight ATP program that will run you around $1900 all in. PM me for details if interested.
Quote: I think the 9 - 10 month math is a little fuzzy, too. If benefits top out at $17K for an academic year (which is 9 months), then shouldn't an $8K type rating only cost you 4.5 months or so? Not sure how they justify 9 or 10 months of benefits for that.
Benefits are capped at $10,000/year for flight training, thats where they get you on a $7-8,000 Type Rating.
Here is the last discussion on it.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/mi...rning-fly.html

For me, the biggest waste of benefits is not using them. I got the 737 type and ATP check at Higher Power, and still have enough to use for an MBA at some point in the future. If I don't pursue that, I can look at pushing it on to the kids, but I have serious doubts about the transferability being around 17 years from now. If my kids were older, I would probably be saying something different.
I recently contacted Higer Power about a 737NG type and they quoted me at almost $13K. Where are these $7-8K figures coming from?
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to