FDX - Significant Cuts to ANC Operations?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  11 
Page 1 of 16
Go to
Any one hearing about ANC drawdown to 4 flights a day by November? Rumors...
Quote: Any one hearing about ANC drawdown to 4 flights a day by November? Rumors...
I've heard similar numbers. We'll just have to wait and see. Keep the faith.
fbh
Seems like a drastic change in operations
If the number of flights get anything like 4 per day...why bother keeping a base?

Is it time to start looking for lower 48 moving locations?
Curby - That is what I was wondering. Word I got is that the Ramp Manager is wrestling with how the Hub will look for all the staff, MX and rampers. This might be big.
Isn't that a major sort for you guys between North America and Asia? How much freight can an MD-11 carry if they overfly ANC? How about the 777?
Quote: Curby - That is what I was wondering. Word I got is that the Ramp Manager is wrestling with how the Hub will look for all the staff, MX and rampers. This might be big.
Huge bummer...

Seems like a great base for you guys. They already reduced the EWR flights and got rid of the SEA-ANC legs. Not that long ago, there were rumors that you were going to expand the bulk cargo business relying on ANC, using the MD11's no longer needed due to 777 flying for that lower yield stuff. But, based on the recently announced strategy that seems to be on the outs.

Perhaps Fred has been sharing Cohibas and port with Scott Davis (UPS CEO) at the country club lately.

Or is this just a negotiation tactic?
I assume it's related to this?:

Quote:
FedEx has taken the same strategy as many on the general air cargo side and that is to reduce capacity. “We’re taking capacity down, but in concert with that reduction in capacity what we’re not doing, is we’re not reducing service and that’s a function of the way we built our network. We built our network so effectively there’s a redundancy in connectivity built in, so we can take units of capacity out and not affect the transit time,” he says. FedEx is also moving deferred and lower yielding products into other lower costs networks. “We are going to use other carriers and belly capacity and to some extent main deck capacity where it makes sense to do so. Up to the beginning of this year the express carrier was operating up to 10 wide body flights a day on the transpacific. “We can scale back that capacity quite a bit without affecting service and we operate three flights between Asia and Europe with basically a dozen or so flights a day connecting intra- Asia through our hub in Guangzhou.”
Change when change is needed | Payload Asia
I just heard the same things out on the road. Down to 4 afternoon departures and reduction in Asia inbounds as well. What I can't figure out is: Are they planning on deadheading crews out/in to get them on the road? Also, I'm thinking this may be a temporary shift until things pick up, that way we are in place when they do? Otherwise, why wouldn't they have downsized the base more than 15 f/o's?
How big is the ANC domicile?

4 departures total?
Quote: I just heard the same things out on the road. Down to 4 afternoon departures and reduction in Asia inbounds as well. What I can't figure out is: Are they planning on deadheading crews out/in to get them on the road? Also, I'm thinking this may be a temporary shift until things pick up, that way we are in place when they do? Otherwise, why wouldn't they have downsized the base more than 15 f/o's?
4 PM departures total (so no departures before noon at all)? Need some clarification on the direction of the departures. Between OAK, IND and MEM there's at least 4 PM departures a day just to the lower 48. Are you talking 4 PM departures to Asia along with the normal ones to the lower 48 or are we going to launch 4 jets a day - period?
1  2  3  4  5  11 
Page 1 of 16
Go to