PIC type rating requirement for SIC

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to
Quote: Most, if not all, will require 500 or more hours PIC (P1) time as well. An "empty" type rating is worthless overseas in most cases.
For a first officer position the mins for most overseas/contract carriers dont list PIC jet req. Only a Jet command rating (their language) and x amount of Jet time/weight of Aircraft/2 crew envir... etc.
Direct entry captains need PIC rating + 1000 pic jet time.
Quote: Additionally does this mean SWA will drop the type rating requirement? What are the ramifications then to the various type rating schools around the country? I can't see anyone buying a 737 type rating again.
Why would this make any difference to the SW model of hiring? In the past pilots bought 737 ratings to show their interest in SW. In the future pilots will buy 737 ratings to show their interest in SW.
Quote: For a first officer position
Direct entry captains need PIC rating + 1000 pic jet time.
Fair enough, but the few (decent) f/o positions open to Americans overseas are pretty competitive - you'll not get in with an empty type. Either some PIC (P1) or a lot of P2 will be required. I'm sure there are some outfits / countries that'll pick you up, but it won't be much of a job. Some Japanese carriers and the UAE guys have some pretty good gigs; other than that ... ... at least AFAIK.

I started overseas at age 50+ and of course had enough P1. 500 PIC for a DEC is common - I've seen it as low as 100, but that was in 2007.

Basically there's no shortage of inexperienced f/o's (with type ratings and without) in most places, certainly in India.
Quote: Why would this make any difference to the SW model of hiring? In the past pilots bought 737 ratings to show their interest in SW. In the future pilots will buy 737 ratings to show their interest in SW.
Yep, the cost of the rating was never an issue; the initial training footprint is practically the same whether or not you have the rating.
I know when I went to my Trans States interview, they said they are still doing SIC type ratings for new hires.
Quote: I know when I went to my Trans States interview, they said they are still doing SIC type ratings for new hires.
That's odd, the last few classes everyone's been getting full types, as far as I know.
Quote: Show me one training contract that has been enforced.
A more likely scenario is a training bond that is repaid out if wages. Or a bonus that is paid after a certain time.
Quote: A more likely scenario is a training bond that is repaid out if wages. Or a bonus that is paid after a certain time.
In the future I could see that, but presently these training agreements are flimsy and haven't been enforced- that I know of...I do like the idea of the bonus since it may help with the crap pay at the regional level.
Quote: Show me one training contract that has been enforced.
Great Lakes has, as best I can tell

PITTARD v. GREAT LAKES AVIATION, No.?05-230., April 24, 2007 - WY Supreme Court | FindLaw
Quote: Great Lakes has, as best I can tell

PITTARD v. GREAT LAKES AVIATION, No.?05-230., April 24, 2007 - WY Supreme Court | FindLaw
Avoid Great Mistakes then. Its an SB anyway.
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to