Atlas Crew Lands Dreamlifter Wrong Airport

Subscribe
5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  19 
Page 9 of 28
Go to
Quote: If you think it could not happen to you then you need an attitude adjustment.

Humans make mistakes.

I'm glad it was not me.
And no metal bent and no one hurt.
Quote: Pakage, first off, it wasn't a a management crew, second, it wasn't a "hey nobody saw that so let's take off and not tell anyone", and third, be careful what you spout off about...you never know where you'll find yourself or what may happen to you! Most who find themselves in a situation like that NEVER thought it would happen to them.
Mis,
Been over 15yrs since I was on the 72 so I contend I may have got the crew part wrong. However, I do specifically remember in ground school the biggest issue wasn't the landing at the wrong airport, but the actions after. And as for your third, I was offering that it happens everywhere for those condemning the actions. Also, if you would have read the entire thread, you would have seen my "spouting off" on judging and there by the grace of God. You are right, I will never know where I may find myself in a situation, and I don't wish this scenario upon anyone.
The biggest issue WAS the departure, but it was Not a "hey, nobody saw that so lets take off and not tell anyone" situation. It was bad headwork, bad judgement and WE were sleep deprived but it was was not a don't tell anyone situation. Management was called by us as soon as we got on the ground and then the games truly began. You don't ever think it will be you!
I never talk about a situation I'm not sure of the facts on, and neither should anybody!
seems like a lot of these happen around air force bases. just an observation. This one, the Macdill incidents in tampa, NWA had an airbus land at Ellsworth one time instead of Rapid City. I'm sure there are more
A few cases of planes landing at Barbers Point, Hawaii, instead of Honolulu.
Quote: I'm not sure, but I think Senior Skipper may have been referring to DAL's landing a 76 on a taxi way in ATL a few years ago.
That's exactly the incident I was referring to. Tough crowd today...

Quote: I think everyone is misunderstanding Senior Skippers comment. I took it to mean that they land at the right airport, but sometimes they just happen to land on the taxiway instead.
Glad somebody else got it
Does McConnell tower have radar?

If they do have radar shouldn't they have seen their low altitude that far north of the field. Then issued a low altitude alert?

Also when did ICT approach hand them off to McConnell?
Do all ATC facilities have the capability of getting/giving low altitude warnings to aircraft? I've had a controller tell us to check our altitude due to a "low altitude alert". It turned out to be a false alert. But, it certainly got our attention. This crew clearly could have used one.
Quote: Does McConnell tower have radar?

If they do have radar shouldn't they have seen their low altitude that far north of the field. Then issued a low altitude alert?

Also when did ICT approach hand them off to McConnell?
You have a great mind, my friend.
well said
Quote: Most who find themselves in a situation like that NEVER thought it would happen to them.

well said.....
5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  19 
Page 9 of 28
Go to