Using mil instructor checkride to renew CFI

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Has anyone used their Instructor Checkride to renew their CFI? I know the checkride has to be in the previous 12 months, but are there any other gotchas/gouge?

Tips on how to fill out the IACRA form?

Thanks
Sluggo.. cannot recall the CFR reference, but was told by a DPE that you can use a military IP checkride (Form 8, NATOPS..etc) to keep your CFI ticket... guessing it maybe in 61.???
Been doing it for 10 years when I have a current IP checkride (ie not on staff). Most FSDOs know how to do it but sometimes you have to make sure you talk to the right person--which can be challenging getting through on the phone sometimes. Nothing special on filling out the forms...I typically leave questionable areas blank and the examiner helps fill in any holes that need to be checked. Once I can figure out where the office is and get through the front door, it usually takes less than 10 minutes to do.
Quote: Sluggo.. cannot recall the CFR reference, but was told by a DPE that you can use a military IP checkride (Form 8, NATOPS..etc) to keep your CFI ticket... guessing it maybe in 61.???
I know that you can under the new rules (61.197(a)(2)(iv)), I was just looking for a how-to... I'm guessing that I have to make an appointment at the FSDO and walk down copies of my Form 8 along with a 8710/IACRA.

I was just wondering if anyone had been through the process...
Quote: Been doing it for 10 years when I have a current IP checkride (ie not on staff). Most FSDOs know how to do it but sometimes you have to make sure you talk to the right person--which can be challenging getting through on the phone sometimes. Nothing special on filling out the forms...I typically leave questionable areas blank and the examiner helps fill in any holes that need to be checked. Once I can figure out where the office is and get through the front door, it usually takes less than 10 minutes to do.
Thanks! Do you fill out a paper 8710 or do the IACRA online?
all online now when I did it a year ago. I typically take the time to call and get past the front desk operator and ask an examiner what he needs done online and which forms to bring. If you need english proficiency or any type rating added you can also do that at the same time but it takes a separate online form for each one (I learned this the hard way after an hour drive to do my CFII). I have visited FSDOs from Hawaii to Florida and points in between. The process is always a little different at each one and some are easier than others.
Quote: I know that you can under the new rules (61.197(a)(2)(iv)), I was just looking for a how-to... I'm guessing that I have to make an appointment at the FSDO and walk down copies of my Form 8 along with a 8710/IACRA.

I was just wondering if anyone had been through the process...
Sluggo, take a look at the FAA guidance, Google "FSIMS 8900" Flight Standards Information System (FSIMS)

Then Vol 5, Chp2, Sec11, Para 5-504 RENEWAL OF FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATE.

To find a FSDO, use this link:
Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)

I hope that helps.
Yep, form 8, the IACRA, make the appointment and you are good to go. Done it twice now.
For the guys that have been successful at this, did you renew an expired CFI? Or just keep it current?

Mine expired in 2003 and I asked the San Antonio FSDO about renewing it based on my IP status last year. They said I can't do that and that I need to take a check ride to renew it. Maybe I just need to talk to the right person...that's not a check ride I ever want to repeat.
I've only renewed but call another fsdo and see what folks post here. I've had to shop around a number of times to get the answer I wanted. Helps to find the ex/retired mil examiner who is comfortable with the process.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to