PIC time: Unofficially Required

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 4 of 5
Go to
Quote: I keep hearing the sweet spot in PIC is 1000-1500 hours. Below that you're unqualified, above that you're untrainable.
Everyone in my class at DL had at least 1800 TPIC.
Sounds like the chances of a regional FO w/ 0 TPIC getting on w/ a legacy carrier are pret-ty slim.

Time to chase that upgrade and hope I don't get burned!
What do you mean, "unofficially?" We do not live in a world where FOs are on an equal plane (no pun intended) with a CA. There are ****load of dudes/dudettes out there ready to move from there left seat and their qualifications obviously trump an FOs in terms of marketable experience. No one cares if you fly an E175 (or CRJ900, okay...) from the right seat. Unlikely to get you anywhere. I do...and this I still think this is obvious.
Guys or Gals, help me out here. When I got hired for a 121 job, you either held an ATP or the "qualifications" to get one. Now, I realize when the Regionals convinced the college kids that 12k a year is more than McDonalds pays that was the beginning of the end but how does one get the PIC requirement to get signed off for an ATP???? I got mine twenty five years ago today so forgive me for being too lazy to know. 500 PIC???? Anyone; Bueller??
Quote: Guys or Gals, help me out here. When I got hired for a 121 job, you either held an ATP or the "qualifications" to get one. Now, I realize when the Regionals convinced the college kids that 12k a year is more than McDonalds pays that was the beginning of the end but how does one get the PIC requirement to get signed off for an ATP???? I got mine twenty five years ago today so forgive me for being too lazy to know. 500 PIC???? Anyone; Bueller??
The same way it's always been done--any way you can. Flight instruction, light cargo, pipeline, banner, self-paid...

Only now, that C-152 is 100/hr, not 35/hr.
The PIC time required is only 250 IIRC for the ATP.
Quote: What he said. The folks getting hired without TPIC almost certainly have family connections or affirmative action tickets. Possible exception for some LCCs, which may be concerned about a mass exodus to the legacies.

TPIC, unlike any other metric such as junior high school GPA, shows the ability to exercise judgement and common sense to stay out of trouble in a turbine environment. Either that or be really lucky. An SIC might have been kept out of trouble by his CA's.
WTH is an affirative action ticket!?!?
Quote: WTH is an affirative action ticket!?!?
that is the ticket that is activated when HR sees that the applicant is a member of the Native American Pilots Association (NAPA) and is female.
Thanks, but I was thinking when I got my ATP you had to have at least 500 hours Cross Country PIC as a part of the matrix used (maybe to ensure one can navigate, problem solve, and make decisions without help). Again, that was 1989, I don't know what the hell it is now.
Quote: Thanks, but I was thinking when I got my ATP you had to have at least 500 hours Cross Country PIC as a part of the matrix used (maybe to ensure one can navigate, problem solve, and make decisions without help). Again, that was 1989, I don't know what the hell it is now.
Yea, the R-atp applies to anyone with regards to xc-time or age. The TT reduction applies only to the 141, BS degree etc.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 4 of 5
Go to