Jet Suite phenom runs off runway KSGR

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 5 of 6
Go to
Quote: I recall attending a meeting where the FAA was introducing and touting EMAS. The FAA talked it all up, and most of us seemed to think it was a great idea. Then the FAA presenters went right into how expensive it was to replace, and whoever used it had to pay for the repairs. A sizable amount of attendees then seemed to change their minds and said they would try to avoid using it, so as to not have their companies incur the repair costs...

Those sizable numbers of attendees didn't understand the purpose of EMAS then

It is cheaper than the lawsuits resulting from the aircraft going over the side of the cliff.

Since it is a last ditch effort to keep the aircraft in the *safety zone* - the crew would have already used every effort to not use EMAS - sort of like the E-5 chain gear use to be.
Quote:
Those sizable numbers of attendees didn't understand the purpose of EMAS then

It is cheaper than the lawsuits resulting from the aircraft going over the side of the cliff.

Since it is a last ditch effort to keep the aircraft in the *safety zone* - the crew would have already used every effort to not use EMAS - sort of like the E-5 chain gear use to be.
Not familiar with E5 Chain gear, though sounds potentially nasty! FAA just didn't do the best job "selling" the EMAS deal. That meeting was many moons ago. I think most should be fine with it nowadays.
Quote: Not familiar with E5 Chain gear, though sounds potentially nasty! FAA just didn't do the best job "selling" the EMAS deal. That meeting was many moons ago. I think most should be fine with it nowadays.
It certainly sounds like they missed an opportunity.
Here is a nice fact sheet on EMAS
https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets...m?newsId=13754

Also, this link is a good article which covers the basic of field arrestment systems with an airline flavor! E-5 is described near the end.
http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com...ingsystems.pdf

They really were like LARGE piece(s) of chain strewn across the overruns in case you missed the regular arresting gear (BAK-XX, E28 style). They started removing them some time ago for some reason - I don't know why.
Thx, USMCFLYR. Good info...
Quote: I recall attending a meeting where the FAA was introducing and touting EMAS. The FAA talked it all up, and most of us seemed to think it was a great idea. Then the FAA presenters went right into how expensive it was to replace, and whoever used it had to pay for the repairs. A sizable amount of attendees then seemed to change their minds and said they would try to avoid using it, so as to not have their companies incur the repair costs...
How exactly would they try and avoid using it? Would they not always try and avoid running off the end of the runway?
Attempts to avoid it by sidestepping to a possible adjacent area such as grass, taxiway, Etc. Also after experiencing/realizing acceleration/deceleration issues and attempting takeoff too late for airplane to fly.
Quote: Attempts to avoid it by sidestepping to a possible adjacent area such as grass, taxiway, Etc. Also after experiencing/realizing acceleration/deceleration issues and attempting takeoff too late for airplane to fly.
Heaven help the poor guy who has to explain a 50% - 100% fatality accident using that logic.
All overrun areas should be a treadmill.
Quote: Attempts to avoid it by sidestepping to a possible adjacent area such as grass, taxiway, Etc. Also after experiencing/realizing acceleration/deceleration issues and attempting takeoff too late for airplane to fly.
Owners might think like that in a discussion setting, but I doubt any pilot would swerve to save the EMAS.
Agree with all, though pretty sure there are at least some element who would try it. I like Tomgoodman's idea, or maybe a giant piece of fly paper
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 5 of 6
Go to