Aerostar Lands Gear Up then TOs Again

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 4 of 5
Go to
Quote: I believe he heard a noise... did he realize it was a prop strike? I am not nearly as sure as you seem to be.

I am not excusing or blessing his decision, but I can envision a pilot powering up at the first strange (bad) noise he heard.
Unless it was his first landing in the plane he should have know that his derriere was waaaaay to low to ground.

But being 85 helps explain it. Maybe he should try a fixed-gear non-complex ASEL.
He said he's giving up flying. I dont' think he's concerned about his insurance rates, the FAA's opinion, or what he will fly next.

Quote: I believe he heard a noise... did he realize it was a prop strike? I am not nearly as sure as you seem to be.

I am not excusing or blessing his decision, but I can envision a pilot powering up at the first strange (bad) noise he heard.
Heard or not, the moment power was applied following a prop strike, there's no question, and if you watch the props during the initial climb away, you will see the RPM change repeatedly as the power is pulled then pushed back up; it happens several times.

A pilot of a light multi engine airplane is expected to be prepared to pull the power to idle instead of going around, just as he should be smart enough to not attempt a single engine go around, or continue into a Vmc situation. Terra Firma was close by, and available, until he put the runway behind him and abandoned that opportunity. There is absolutely no way that was done in ignorance without a very clear indication that he had a problem, and that went well beyond the simple sound of metal scraping.

Anyone remember this one?

American Eagle into KBOS.

- Gear down flaps 22 was called
- Nose gear doors open
- 20 seconds later, Master Warning LDG LVR DISAGREE
- No checklist called for
- Flaps 45 called for and no "LANDING GEAR" Betty call
- passing through 1200ft, no "TOO LOW FLAPS" EGPWS call
- crew notes speed/power setting is different.
- crew says "if anything seems different, we'll go around"
- FO initates go around and then "EMER GEAR EXTENSION" checklist was completed.
1970 Aerostar 601 Aircraft for sale - Aero Star Usa Ltd , FL - Trade-A-Plane Inventory ID 2076612

"Needs props." Understatement of the year.
Brings a whole new meaning to "I'll stay in the pattern for a few bounces".
Quote: 1970 Aerostar 601 Aircraft for sale - Aero Star Usa Ltd , FL - Trade-A-Plane Inventory ID 2076612

That's an amazing find. The guy is wasting no time.

"Call for price"

Mention you saw his video.
Quote: 1970 Aerostar 601 Aircraft for sale - Aero Star Usa Ltd , FL - Trade-A-Plane Inventory ID 2076612

230 Hours SMOH

Doesn't mention hours remaining until major overhaul...

No kidding, it should also say;

"Needs new crankshafts, needs new engine mounts, needs new pilot seat cushion, old one has a fresh brown stain...."
Nah... Seat cushion is fine, at 85 the boy is wearing double breasted Depends.
Probably an urban legend, but I heard, along time ago, that a guy lost three fingers trying to prove to someone that you can't reach a turning left hand prop from the pilot seat.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 4 of 5
Go to