Skywest v2.0

Subscribe
363  413  453  459  460  461  462  463  464  465  466  467  473  513  563  963 
Page 463 of 1089
Go to
Quote: So no Aspen??
I think that's the one exception.
Quote: So no Aspen??
I thought we had discussed the only reason the 14 700's staying was to do the mountain flying since the others can't seem to get approval
Quote: I thought we had discussed the only reason the 14 700's staying was to do the mountain flying since the others can't seem to get approval
We are keeping them because the contract isn't up yet. I think the expire in 2018 or so.

And it happens to cover some - but not all mountain flying ....

So this is more coincidence than a well thought-out plan.
Was in the schoolhouse this past weekend and the story we heard about the -700s was not that United didn't want 'em. Apparently (according to what we were told, so take this with a giant salt shaker) — United wanted to renew the -700 flying, but SKW has been consistently losing money on that flying. So SKW came back with a number and United balked. We then switched those planes to AA, and the word is that United has changed its tune and now wants those airplanes back (but most have already been painted.)

Again — schoolhouse rumors from the sim instructors. Not to be taken as the gospel truth.
Quote: Was in the schoolhouse this past weekend and the story we heard about the -700s was not that United didn't want 'em. Apparently (according to what we were told, so take this with a giant salt shaker) — United wanted to renew the -700 flying, but SKW has been consistently losing money on that flying. So SKW came back with a number and United balked. We then switched those planes to AA, and the word is that United has changed its tune and now wants those airplanes back (but most have already been painted.)

Again — schoolhouse rumors from the sim instructors. Not to be taken as the gospel truth.
Heard basically this exact same thing in the schoolhouse from a sim instructor last week
I'd heard a long time ago that our united 700 flying wasn't very profitable and I can buy United didn't want to pay more, but school house rumor doubt creeps in talking about remorse on Uniteds part.
Quote: I'd heard a long time ago that our united 700 flying wasn't very profitable and I can buy United didn't want to pay more, but school house rumor doubt creeps in talking about remorse on Uniteds part.
The one thing I did hear recently, which I do believe, is that not long after UAL took away SKW ground handling in SFO and replaced it with mainline ground staff specifically hired for the purpose, the resulting cluster******* caused UAL to come back and ask SKW to re-hire everyone we'd terminated and take back the below-the-wing handling. Apparently SKW refused, for some unknown reason.

It's really a shame, as the SFO ground handling was by far the best of any hub airport we operate into. The SKW guys worked really hard. The new UAL operation is a complete joke (although it is getting marginally better and at least isn't such a catastrophe as IAH, DEN, or ORD.)
Quote: You can't just call and ask for any trip though. It's spelled out in the PPM. Inverse seniority order unless you bid call first according to the bucket system. I do wish we could get proffering though. That would be a huge QOL improvement for reserves.
Thanks everyone! Sorry for the delay.
So the inverse seniority thing (only on reserve I'm guessing?) means the most junior numbers get called 1st? I'm confused. And the bucket system, what is this? If anyone wants to elaborate I'm all ears and very grateful.

(either way it sounds like there's basically no flying while on reserve for all those months, just waiting near the reserve base... picking up a handful of hours... right?)
Quote: Thanks everyone! Sorry for the delay.
So the inverse seniority thing (only on reserve I'm guessing?) means the most junior numbers get called 1st? I'm confused. And the bucket system, what is this? If anyone wants to elaborate I'm all ears and very grateful.

(either way it sounds like there's basically no flying while on reserve for all those months, just waiting near the reserve base... picking up a handful of hours... right?)
You are able to pick up flying on your days off in your or any other domicile. There is a trade board of flights posted online to allow you to browse and pickup flights if you choose to.
Quote: What percentage washed out?
cant remember the exact percentage. I think we lost 7 or 8 out of 30 something. That isn't normal. Must've been an anomaly. If you show up with a good atttude and work hard. You will not be one of those that wash out. When they offer you a class date. They are making an investment in you. All the training department asks that you invest in the training and in yourself. Work hard and come to training with a good attitude and you will pass. With AqP you are set up for success. Unless you're a complete chucklehead of course. And I mean that in a very respectful professional way. This job isn't for everyone.
363  413  453  459  460  461  462  463  464  465  466  467  473  513  563  963 
Page 463 of 1089
Go to