Taxi Light Usage

Subscribe
3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
Page 7 of 10
Go to
Can't believe some guys are actually making excuses for blinding others with their taxi lights. Ridiculous.
Quote: I used to fly out of ATL a lot. This used to drive me insane (DLA 757 light usage) and I've "returned the favor" with my landing lights on several occasion. I used to fly the 757 previously for another carrier. Do you guys not realize how blinding your taxi lights are?!
"returning the favor" is a d!@& move. Intentionally blinding a crew taking the active for takeoff? You really do that? What a hero.
7 pages later and we still can't all agree that:

1. Use your exterior lights when you are on the runway to increase safety.

2. Don't blind another crew unless you really think that your taxi/landing lights will be beneficial even when you perpendicular to the runway.

3. If another crew forgets about rule 2 due to any number of other more important things they are doing (or maybe they had a brain fart), don't retaliate.
Quote: "returning the favor" is a d!@& move. Intentionally blinding a crew taking the active for takeoff? You really do that? What a hero.
So flashing at them to turn their light off is a dick move huh?
Quote: So flashing at them to turn their light off is a dick move huh?
Yes, and it's stupid. Why stare at them to see if flashing your lights got them to turn their lights off? That only blinds you further...

Why distract another crew who is taking the runway for takeoff? You are not moving. Close your eyes or look away. And hope the other dummy reads APC so he will know better next time
You can't train against rudeness... that's the way life is. Cleared to line up and wait... TXP on. in low vis very valuable to make sure there's no traffic on short final. Aircraft about 30 degrees from the runway entry point for the line up, lights on. Nobody gets blinded and everyone is happy.
Quote: On the runway the lights should be on, cleared for t/o landing lights on, sorry but safety comes first. Good luck
Here is your super Captain that cannot think outside of the box! Seriously, you cannot keep your taxi light off until the turing point lining up for the runway?
Quote: Can't believe some guys are actually making excuses for blinding others with their taxi lights. Ridiculous.
I can't believe guys just can't turn their heads to the side or look down when a plane opposite them turns on a light so they can see what's on the ground in front of them as they taxi. And I really can't believe that any of you would intentionally "retaliate" and flash the other guy. That said, I'm courteous with the taxi light and don't illuminate it until pointed away from the other cockpit. But that has had me taxiing into position before when I really can't see anything at all as I make my way onto the runway. I'm not so sure that's real smart.
While we're on the subject. How about parking while the tug is pointed at you with its lights on? I find that far more annoying and dangerous since I can't see the backlit marshaler and don't park until they turn them off.
If we took off on treadmills this whole thread would be mute.*

*yes, I know.
3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
Page 7 of 10
Go to