Puerto Rico

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to
Quote: The US Virgin Islands is the same as Puert Rico when it comes to green card and work permits.
Big benefit to be Spanish speaking in Puerto Rico, not in the Virgin Islands.
High crime in both, places, leave your Mercedes and Rolex home.
Oh crap, I just got the Rolex

Good to know that my spanish could be useful in the job search!
I checked out of curiosity the crime index in P.Rico and I compared with a few countries. It says it's more dangerous than Mexico and almost as dangerous as El Salvador, W T F
Quote: I checked out of curiosity the crime index in P.Rico and I compared with a few countries. It says it's more dangerous than Mexico and almost as dangerous as El Salvador, W T F
Yeah, many bad hombres in Puerto Rico.
I know some pilots who got their teeth kicked in there while bar hopping at night.
Bring a body guard, or brush up on your Black Belt Karate moves..
Dang. Hopefully grant aviation or Yute air will call me lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Javi check your PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Typical gringo dated crap gouge on here. Listen up, children:

PR is undergoing massive depopulation as a result of the terrible economic impacts of the decade long recession/high public debt incurred as a result of pharmaceuticals leaving the island with the repeal of section 936. Island economies are one trick ponies, and PR is no exception. With the lack of private industry, the inherent low-paying nature of tourism, and a reliance on govt employment as the only source of "CONUS-style income power", the can got kicked down the road for too long and here we are.

The crime stats therefore show high as a function of the per capita rate continuing to shoot up due to a rapidly decreasing value in the denominator. With the lack of living wage jobs, there has also been a net increase in the numerator.

These numbers are largely the result of drug war violence in the projects, as it always has been, which does increase as the remaining populace relies more and more on that source of income to keep the real on-the-street-cash economy afloat. go to Plaza Las Américas on a tuesday, it'll make your head spin. HOw the hell is that place packed and bustling, if nobody has decent paying jobs and the island is losing people on a NET basis? doesn't take rocket scientist to figure that one out.

The drug crime does extend into some property crime in the San Juan Metro in those communities that happen to butt up against said projects. Some random car jackings also occur, which are socioeconomic class indiscriminate, but are still lower than at their heights in the early 90s.

Is it paradise? Hell no. It's a tough situation. But as a non-native pilot remora looking for low end time, it's a dynamic of no consequence to you, since you won't dwell in the "native economy" by and large. Someone can largely bounce in and out of El Condado/Isla Verde, the airport, and the rural side of the island for leisure trips and never encounter a problem. Your only problem will be what would be anyone else's problem down there, myself included: you're not gonna make any money worth a damn down there, which is why I left.

As to non-Spanish-fluent non-locals? If you stay outside the urban ghettos, (i.e. the entire rest of the island), it's no less safe than boring ol' Nebraska, with a better weather profile but worse job prospects. For a guy looking to do the island thing for a couple years to build entry level flight time, this is largely a non-issue as long as you stay in your lane. So then, stay in your lane. Go pull a drunk clueless gringo in the middle of a local pub and yeah, you're gonna get hurt. So would I, and I'm native.

Clear as mud? Virgin islands would eat your lunch on the COL. PR is a much better bet, cheaper living, more American in conveniences, and better commuting to the CONUS imo. Good luck.
Quote: Typical gringo dated crap gouge on here. Listen up, children:

PR is undergoing massive depopulation as a result of the terrible economic impacts of the decade long recession/high public debt incurred as a result of pharmaceuticals leaving the island with the repeal of section 936. Island economies are one trick ponies, and PR is no exception. With the lack of private industry, the inherent low-paying nature of tourism, and a reliance on govt employment as the only source of "CONUS-style income power", the can got kicked down the road for too long and here we are.

The crime stats therefore show high as a function of the per capita rate continuing to shoot up due to a rapidly decreasing value in the denominator. With the lack of living wage jobs, there has also been a net increase in the numerator.

These numbers are largely the result of drug war violence in the projects, as it always has been, which does increase as the remaining populace relies more and more on that source of income to keep the real on-the-street-cash economy afloat. go to Plaza Las Américas on a tuesday, it'll make your head spin. HOw the hell is that place packed and bustling, if nobody has decent paying jobs and the island is losing people on a NET basis? doesn't take rocket scientist to figure that one out.

The drug crime does extend into some property crime in the San Juan Metro in those communities that happen to butt up against said projects. Some random car jackings also occur, which are socioeconomic class indiscriminate, but are still lower than at their heights in the early 90s.

Is it paradise? Hell no. It's a tough situation. But as a non-native pilot remora looking for low end time, it's a dynamic of no consequence to you, since you won't dwell in the "native economy" by and large. Someone can largely bounce in and out of El Condado/Isla Verde, the airport, and the rural side of the island for leisure trips and never encounter a problem. Your only problem will be what would be anyone else's problem down there, myself included: you're not gonna make any money worth a damn down there, which is why I left.

As to non-Spanish-fluent non-locals? If you stay outside the urban ghettos, (i.e. the entire rest of the island), it's no less safe than boring ol' Nebraska, with a better weather profile but worse job prospects. For a guy looking to do the island thing for a couple years to build entry level flight time, this is largely a non-issue as long as you stay in your lane. So then, stay in your lane. Go pull a drunk clueless gringo in the middle of a local pub and yeah, you're gonna get hurt. So would I, and I'm native.

Clear as mud? Virgin islands would eat your lunch on the COL. PR is a much better bet, cheaper living, more American in conveniences, and better commuting to the CONUS imo. Good luck.

All I can say is THANKS! for such a solid explanation and advice.

You're right when you say most of the issues shouldn't affect my goal short-term as long as I keep my nose clean and use common sense.

I'm not a night club guy anymore, and my curiosity won't take me to explore weird or dangerous places. I'm just looking for a decent job, flying as much as I can, without getting into trouble while I do it. If there's a beach close by, even better haha.

Thanks for taking the time, much appreciated.

Do you by any chance know if Air Flamenco or Vieques are hiring? or any other operator you could think of
Quote:
. Typical gringo dated crap gouge on here. Listen up, children:
Wow, glad you cleared that up papa amigo.
San Juan is still a bad place as far as crime, drugs and violence.
95% of the flying jobs are in the SJU area and it is not quite like Nebraska at night.

Puerto Rican's are moving out in droves to settle in the Orlando area, the economy and banks tits up.
Gringo dated crap?
Blame it on somebody and why not vote for intependence next time, D.R. is going to look good and you guys will be emigrating to Haiti.
Good luck papa.
There's cargo work out of Aguadilla as well. IFL with the Convair 580, Ameriflight and Mountain Air. The Aguadilla area is a nice place to live. I've been here for over a year and a half (I don't fly for those guys) and I haven't had any problems or know of anyone who has. Cape Air is big out of San Juan with a position in Mayaguez as well which is just south of Aguadilla.
I think that Convair is part 121, maybe I'm wrong.
Cape Air told me to reapply once I have 750h.
But! I got lucky with Air Flamenco since a friend of mine flies there

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to