Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Default DTW Base

Going to class next month and I知 hoping to get DTW based! Anyone have any insight on to how long reserve is, QOL in base as well as the type of flying / layovers?
iflyplains is offline  
Old 10-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 856
Default

I was based there for my first 11 months. Being relatively senior in my new hire group allowed me to hold DTW out of training.

Schedule - I held a line after seven or eight months. Hiring ground almost to a stop shortly after I was hired so it's possible that I could have held a line sooner if I were on the start of a big hiring wave like it seems you are.

QOL - are you planning to commute to DTW or live there? The crashpads there are standard fare from what I hear. The outer north and western sides of Detroit are nice places to live. Downtown is reviving strongly from its bankruptcy woes and there are good amenities popping up down there like large parks, restaurant districts, etc.

Flying - there is very little international flying out of either DTW or ORD. I got out of the country about once a month. It doesn't make much difference considering we have very few international overnights. Plan for a lot of trips with long legs to the west coast at the start and back at the end. Good layovers and easy flying.
Flightcap is offline  
Old 10-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #3  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightcap View Post
I was based there for my first 11 months. Being relatively senior in my new hire group allowed me to hold DTW out of training.

Schedule - I held a line after seven or eight months. Hiring ground almost to a stop shortly after I was hired so it's possible that I could have held a line sooner if I were on the start of a big hiring wave like it seems you are.

QOL - are you planning to commute to DTW or live there? The crashpads there are standard fare from what I hear. The outer north and western sides of Detroit are nice places to live. Downtown is reviving strongly from its bankruptcy woes and there are good amenities popping up down there like large parks, restaurant districts, etc.

Flying - there is very little international flying out of either DTW or ORD. I got out of the country about once a month. It doesn't make much difference considering we have very few international overnights. Plan for a lot of trips with long legs to the west coast at the start and back at the end. Good layovers and easy flying.
Awesome! Thanks for this. I値l commute at first but luck out with a place to stay at a friends house! I知 going to eventually move there once my lease is up! Thanks again.
iflyplains is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 04:00 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 856
Default

Oh and I forgot to say that if you bid early reserve you have quite a few opportunities to do repo flights for move up pay. Having a hangar in DTW means that's where they keep spare airplanes. I did three repo flights in one week when based there.
Flightcap is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 05:03 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Office Chair
Posts: 443
Default

How do you bid early RAP?
FLYBOYMATTHEW is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
king10pin02's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: A320 CA
Posts: 388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOYMATTHEW View Post
How do you bid early RAP?
in pref bid, we have pre set rsv windows, R3= 3am to 5pm
king10pin02 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RemoveB4flght's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: 777 Skipper
Posts: 322
Default

The problem is that RAP is allotted according to coverage on the working days you are awarded, not necessarily by seniority.

So for example say everyone wants R03. If there are 10 R03 lines for November, and the ten most senior reserve bidders have too many overlapping days working, a much more junior pilot would get it instead.
RemoveB4flght is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #8  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 22
Default

You can pref R03 or you can go in the backyard and yell, “I want R03!!”
The two methods seem equally effective.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tomgoodman; 10-04-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Quoted bad post
dutchroller is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchroller View Post
You can pref R03 or you can go in the backyard and yell, 的 want R03!!
The two methods seem equally effective.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facts.

filler
Flightcap is offline  
Old 10-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #10  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoveB4flght View Post
The problem is that RAP is allotted according to coverage on the working days you are awarded, not necessarily by seniority.

So for example say everyone wants R03. If there are 10 R03 lines for November, and the ten most senior reserve bidders have too many overlapping days working, a much more junior pilot would get it instead.
R03 seems popular, do people just want to be done earlier in the day? Any benefits/drawbacks to the different reserve shifts?
Rocinante is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regionals. Where should I go? Flygirl4772 Regional 3 11-08-2018 08:36 PM
It's official. Dulles 737 base DCAJRMAN United 18 01-18-2015 04:15 PM
SkyWest taking over Endeavor Air FWA MX base. amcnd SkyWest 14 12-05-2014 09:09 AM
ASA DTW 700/900 Base Rumor Trip7 Regional 110 03-09-2011 09:19 AM
Pinnacle potential new-hire question... ShyGuy Regional 12 07-23-2007 02:18 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:36 PM.